Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Robby Pelssers <ro...@ciber.nl> on 2008/06/30 14:21:55 UTC

Cocoon-fop-impl using old version of fop.jar

Hi guys,

Any particular reason why we still use the DINO-version of the fop.jar
(0.20.5) ?

I would like to use at least the stable 0.94 or even try out the 0.95
beta.  What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

Currently I have just added the FOP-dependency to my pom like below:

    <dependency>

      <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>

      <artifactId>cocoon-fop-impl</artifactId>

      <version>1.0.0</version>

    </dependency>

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Robby Pelssers

Re: Cocoon-fop-impl using old version of fop.jar

Posted by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au>.
This has been done in trunk (I think)

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/blocks/cocoon-fop/cocoon-fop-ng-impl/

I don't know why this hasn't been released, a committer can give more
information on what needs to be done to make this a stable, released block.

Unfortunately, when the Fop crew moved to 0.9x they completely rewrote
the API for embedding which makes the upgrade a little more difficult
than simply changing the version number.

Also, 0.9x works very differently to 0.20.5. From my understanding
0.20.5 had many deviations from the XSL FO standard, which were
rectified in 0.9x. This means that there are probably many people out
there who would scream bloody murder if we simply moved to 0.9x as all
their stylesheets would break.

I assume the reason why both 0.20.5 and 0.9x were not supported in the
same transformer was because of clashing classes.

For more details see here:

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/upgrading.html

--
Kamal Bhatt