Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/06 23:09:33 UTC

Stalled unit tests

I'm sure that I'm just missing something obvious but I'm having trouble
getting the unit tests to run to completion on my laptop and was hoping
that someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

I've cloned the repository from GitHub (
http://git.apache.org/lucene-solr.git) and checked out the latest commit on
branch_4x.

commit 6e06247cec1410f32592bfd307c1020b814def06

Author: Robert Muir <rm...@apache.org>

Date:   Thu Mar 6 19:54:07 2014 +0000

    disable slow solr tests in smoketester

    git-svn-id:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_4x@157502513f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68

Executing "ant clean test" from the top level directory of the project
shows the tests running but they seems to get stuck in loop with some
stalled heartbeat messages. If I run the tests directly from lucene/ then
they complete successfully after about 10 minutes.

I'm using Java 6 under OS X (10.9.2).

$ java -version

java version "1.6.0_65"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

My terminal lists repeating stalled heartbeat messages like so:

HEARTBEAT J2 PID(20104@onyx.local): 2014-03-06T16:53:35, stalled for 2111s
at: HdfsLockFactoryTest.testBasic

HEARTBEAT J0 PID(20106@onyx.local): 2014-03-06T16:53:47, stalled for 2108s
at: TestSurroundQueryParser.testQueryParser

HEARTBEAT J1 PID(20103@onyx.local): 2014-03-06T16:54:11, stalled for 2167s
at: TestRecoveryHdfs.testBuffering

HEARTBEAT J3 PID(20105@onyx.local): 2014-03-06T16:54:23, stalled for 2165s
at: HdfsDirectoryTest.testEOF

My machine does have 3 java processes chewing CPU, see attached jstack
dumps for more information.

Should I expect the tests to complete on my platform? Do I need to specify
any special flags to give them more memory or to avoid any bad apples?

Thanks in advance,

--Terry

RE: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
I looked at this code yesterday and was confused, too. Common-build.xml currently reads the build properties only from the "lucene/"  directory (which is common.dir) or from the working directory of the actually processed build.xml file (base.dir). We might change this (I was about to do this), because I added support for the smoketester sitting in the root folder (which ignored the properties file). We should fix this in a separate folder, so common-build.xml reads from home dir or *only* the root folder of lucene/solr.

The most simple thing is to place a file "lucene.build.properties" in your $HOME (~) directory. This is how I have it set up. Build.properties would also work, but this is most sepcfic and would work for every Lucene checkout you are working on.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com>.
Dawid,

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
Terry,

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com>.

README.txt<https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/trunk/README.txt>

   -

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com>.
Shalin: That makes sense. Both the machines I used for testing have SSDs.

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
In my experience, the test suite is much faster on an SSD. Around 18
minutes on my mac book pro and 12 minutes on my PC for just the Solr
tests with -Dtests.slow=true (both have SSDs)

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops, the second set of timings on the Mid 2012 MacBook Pro were for JUST
> the solr tests.
>

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dawid: Boy, those are some large timeouts!
>>
>> Mike: The build.properties suggestion resolved my issue. I can now run the
>> test to completion.
>>
>> On a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro running Mavericks and using Java 6 executing ant
>> from the top level of the lucene-solr project I get the following timings:
>>
>> ant clean compile -- 3 minutes
>> ant clean test (tests.disableHdfs=true, tests.slow=false) -- 55 minutes
>> ant clean test (tests.disableHdfs=true) -- 88 minutes
>>
>> On a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with the same software stack:
>>
>> ant clean compile -- 1 minute
>> ant clean test (tests.disableHdfs=true, tests.slow=false) -- 8 minutes
>>
>> All running from the same git commit mentioned at the top of this thread.
>>
>> The tests make great use of multiple CPU/cores so a faster machine makes a
>> huge difference to the total runtime.
>>
>> Do the HDFS tests fail due to test bugs or implementation issues?
>>
>> How do you feel about changing the default value of tests.disableHdfs to
>> true versus updating the wiki documentation to let knew contributors know
>> how to work around this?
>>
>> --Terry
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Michael McCandless
>> <lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just ran "ant test" under Solr; it took 4 minutes 25 seconds.
>>>
>>> But, in my ~/build.properties I have:
>>>
>>>     tests.disableHdfs=true
>>>     tests.slow=false
>>>
>>> Which makes things substantially faster, and also [seems to] sidestep
>>> the Solr tests that false fail.
>>>
>>> Mike McCandless
>>>
>>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
> How long does it take on your machine?

It really depends... check out the limit on some heavy nightly tests
like this one:

@TimeoutSuite(millis = 80 * TimeUnits.HOUR)
@Ignore("takes ~ 45 minutes")

(Somebody should really inspect this inconsistency :).

Or this one:

@Ignore("Requires tons of heap to run (420G works)")
@TimeoutSuite(millis = 100 * TimeUnits.HOUR)

Wait... how many Gs? :)

And seriously the top parent class of all tests declares:

@TimeoutSuite(millis = 2 * TimeUnits.HOUR)

And this unfortunately means that a test class will timeout after 2
hours of inactivity. To me, it's absurdly high but in the past tests
ran on very slow virtualized machines and were actually hitting these
limits.

Dawid

Re: Stalled unit tests

Posted by Terry Smith <sh...@gmail.com>.