Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Richard <rg...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/06 18:54:45 UTC

[Netbeans Platform] Tutorials are unusable since transition to Apache

Hello.

Some days ago, I successfully performed a tutorial for XML Editor
extension. The link was :

https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-xmleditor.html

As I had removed this test from my disk, today I tried to perform again
this tutorial, but the link points now to :

https://netbeans.apache.org/tutorials/nbm-xmleditor.html

On this new link, the screenshots do not correspond to the text, and the
code given for the method "actionPerformed" is unreadable because it
contains links to javadoc html pages, and all these links point to the
Apache transition page :

https://netbeans.apache.org/about/oracle-transition.html

Please, could anybody check this tutorial (and maybe other tutorials) or
provide a link to the correct old version ?

Richard

Re: Re: [Netbeans Platform] Tutorials are unusable since transition to Apache

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Would this help any?

https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/pull/533

Since the links in the index.asciidoc were referencing html and not new asciidoc file names, I swapped .html to .asciidoc

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
That's nice but what's needed is that we pitch in and review the tutorials
together, please.

Your proposed solution here will entail that the tutorials will never get
updated -- unless you assume that I'll be doing that on my own without your
involvement?

Here's the one that's been discussed in this thread, the code is now
cleaned up and the images are removed:

https://netbeans.apache.org/tutorials/nbm-xmleditor.html

Anyone is welcome to work through the tutorial, create screenshots as you
go along, and provide a pull request to include them in the tutorial.

Now, which tutorial shall we work on next?

Gj

Posted by slipbits <sl...@slipbits.com>.

Posted by "fruitpi@yahoo.co.uk.INVALID" <fr...@yahoo.co.uk.INVALID>.
 I am also a newbie to NetBeans and I would like to use it for C/C++, and I am actually having a bit of success though with one or two snags.If I could find tutorials covering general, language independent, use of the Netbeans interface and also basic C/C++ use I would give them a go.I cannot promise to give feedback, but I will try.
RegardsFruitpi

    On Saturday, 6 March 2021, 23:28:57 GMT, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

 Because on GitHub, the format and language used is Asciidoc, not HTML. And that is where the tutorials are now, on GitHub. We created a tool that converts from HTML to Asciidoc and that process did not go perfectly, so the screenshots are messed up, and we need to manually fix that.
Indeed, pointing out errors in the doc is a BIG contribution. And, sure, the users list is fine for that.
The more mails you send, ideally one mail per tutorial, the more of a contributor you will be to Apache NetBeans.
Gj
On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 12:23 AM Richard <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

  Thank you all for your answers and the links.

 Geertjan, I do not understand why the transfer to Apache is so complex and needs to change from html format to asciidoc format, thus removing the screenshots, but this is beyond the scope of this mail. Of course, screenshots are welcome, but not needed if the text of the tutorial gives enough details and is OK. Thank you for the cleaned piece of code, I could rebuild and run the XML tutorial.

 I cannot contribute to improve tutorials if I do not understand them, as my knowledge in Java and Netbeans is rather low. But I consider that pointing out errors in the doc is also a contribution. Maybe the users list is not the right place to do that, but I don't want to do anymore and create a new account on github in order to contribute, at least until I have a better knowledge to be efficient.

 Maybe you think that I am only a "consumer", but I am still at the learning stage with the Netbeans Platform. I am reading the nbp4beginners book, and I need also good tutorials. But you can't say that I am only a "consumer" : I know what is an open source project and a community, and I am a contributor for the community of Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice users for which I spent most of my free time using Netbeans to develop and update a JavaDesktop tool that helps to repair corrupted documents (ODFRepar tool).

 Richard

  On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 8:51 PM Richard Grenon <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hello Geertjan.
 Netbeans Platform concepts are not easy to understand (I have purchased the book for beginners), and wrong tutorials are rather discouraging.
  I do not know where and how to fill an issue, and I discovered the problem for the XML editor tutorial this evening. The old tutorial has gone and the new one is wrong. You can have a look on this tutorial that is rather short.
  Only the first screenshot for creating the project is correct. All following screenshots do not follow the text, and some of them seem to be from other applications.
  Finally, the short piece of code given for the method is melted with html links, so it is unreadable.
  I cannot provide correct screenshots and code because I have erased my first test of this tutorial, and the html page with the correct old version of the tutorial has gone.
  I do not know if other Apache tutorials are wrong, but the transfer of this one is rather disappointing. Why the old version from netbeans.org has not been simply copied to a new Apache page rather than rewritten with errors ? For me, correcting the tutorial would be simply to provide a link pointing on the old version.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Richard <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Richard Grenon <rg...@gmail.com>.