Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com> on 2015/04/29 19:31:15 UTC

Administrivia for Developers post SA Release 3.4.1

Some administrivia for developers.

First, with the release of 3.4.1, we are no longer in R-T-C and back in
C-T-R.

Second, We now have a branch for 3.4 that should be used for 3.4.2
devel.  Additionally, trunk is now 4.0 so that we can work on the major
changes like UTF8, improving our SSL for spamc/d, etc.  Let's start
discussing the goals for 4.0.

This means changes to trunk need to be considered for downport to 3.4
and patches to 3.4 should almost always be also patched to 4.0.

Of course, with the change to 4.0, we'll need to confirm that sa-update
works with trunk and that ruleqa/masscheck doesn't implode but I've done
my best and I think the policy of using version encapsulation and
releasing rules that work with 3.3, 3.4 and 4.0 makes sense at least for
now.

Third, there are some 550 bugs listed as targeted for -- or undefined.
  Use this link to view them with in reverse changed order so you can
hit them from last changed to most recently changed:

https://bz.apache.org/SpamAssassin/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&list_id=10604&order=changeddate%2Ccomponent%2Cbug_id%20DESC&query_based_on=&query_format=advanced&target_milestone=---&target_milestone=Undefined
<https://bz.apache.org/SpamAssassin/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&list_id=10604&order=changeddate%2Ccomponent%2Cbug_id%20DESC&query_based_on=&query_format=advanced&target_milestone=---&target_milestone=Undefined>

And there are some good ideas in there.  Bug 4787, for example, jumped
out at me.

Let's clarify these tickets and fix, close, ask for more information,
etc. and target them for 3.4.2 or future.

Can we get some volunteers to look at 5 or 10 a day each?  A couple of
people and a week from now, we'll have reviewed every single open ticket.

And remember, pure Rules tickets don't have to be targeted for a release
through rules (eval tests) do since they require code changes.  So you
can ignore those bugs for this pass!

Finally, here are my ideas for goals for 4.0:

- Additional types of RBL checks for additional headers
- Parallel Testing
- Spamc randomization/load balancing without things like HAProxy.
- UTF-8/IDN native support
- Require a newer version of Perl (likely with a wrapper to install an
SA-dedicated version of perl and modules so distros don't have to
upgrade perl, for example)
- Improved SSL for spamc/d

The UTF-8 will be a big change and the justification for the jump to a
4.0 release.

Regards,
KAM