Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Lahiri, Mitun" <Mi...@compaq.com> on 2001/01/03 21:40:21 UTC

Differences between Xerces v1.2.0 and XML4J v2.0.15???

Hi,
I measured the average elapsed time taken to parse a doc by Xerces v 1.2.0
and XML4J v2.0.15 in milliseconds. The time was the average time taken to
parse a doc 1000 times by each parser. The results were:
Xerces v 1.2.0 : 41 ms
XML4J v 2.0.15: 12 ms

Since Xerces v 1.2.0 is based on the code in XML4J, why is there such a big
difference?
Have any features been added to Xerces?

In both the cases, the respective JAR files files were in the beginning of
the CLASSPATH.

Thanks
Mitun

Re: Differences between Xerces v1.2.0 and XML4J v2.0.15???

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
"Lahiri, Mitun" wrote:
> Xerces v 1.2.0 : 41 ms
> XML4J v 2.0.15: 12 ms

I'm always a little dubious of performance results because there
are so many factors that can affect performance, including the
test system parameters and JVM used.

In addition, you have to be sure what you are measuring. What
kind of document are you parsing? Are you validating? Are you
only measuring the first parse or averaging multiple parses in
the same invocation of the VM? etc etc etc