Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com> on 2004/02/23 18:03:10 UTC

Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Just out of curiousity, is there a combination of configure options which will
prevent the ra_dav modules from being built?  I know I can use

	--disable-mod-activation

to prevent the Apache configuration from being changed, but it could be useful
for certain situations to simply forgo building ra_dav at all.

TIA

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Monday, February 23, 2004 1:38 PM -0500 John Peacock
<jp...@rowman.com> wrote:

> installed it, it still claimed to support ra_dav.  I wonder if that is
> because I already had an installation (i.e. libsvn* files) in place.  Once I
> reboot that box, I'll nuke and reinstall and see if that is still the case...

If libsvn_ra_dav.so is present, then, yes, what you see is expected.  -- justin

Re: Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Posted by Ben Gollmer <be...@jatosoft.com>.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:05:53 -0600, John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com> wrote:
> $ ./configure --without-neon --without-apache \
> --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/
>
> produces a svn that only has ra_svn and ra_local.  Now, is there a way to
> prevent ra_local from being included, too?  I'm thinking of a situation where I
> want to prevent any access except by svn://...

/configure --without-neon --without-apache --without-berkeley-db

--
Ben

Re: Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 15:22, John Peacock wrote:
> That would do, I suppose.  I would be happier with options to configure that
> would do this explicitly:
>
> 	./configure --without-ra_dav --without-ra_local

The proper names for options like that would be --disable-ra_dav and
--disable-ra_local.  --with/--without is supposed to be strictly about
third-party stuff.

(I don't really think such options would be a good idea; I'm just trying
to promote proper autoconf usage mindshare.)

Re: Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Posted by Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com>.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, John Peacock wrote:

If I had commit access, I'd +1 this. :)

It makes it more logical by what functionality you want, rather than by what
libraries you have.

-Richard Balint

> Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>

> > Yes, make sure bdb is not detected...
> >

> That would do, I suppose.  I would be happier with options to configure that
> would do this explicitly:
>
> 	./configure --without-ra_dav --without-ra_local
>
> so that I could prevent linking in BDB files that might be installed (without
> having to lie to the system).
>
> John
>
> --
> John Peacock
> Director of Information Research and Technology

-----
I hope your day is filled with sights of giggling butterflies
and chrome bees doing tai chi on the tops of your hands and toes.

Sir.Woody@Hackswell.com       http://sir.woody.hackswell.com

Re: Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.

> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
> > It depends on neon though, so if you
> > want to turn it off you can either get rid of neon, or force the matter
> > by passing (I think...) --without-neon to configure.
>
> Ah ha!  That's it then!
>
> $ ./configure --without-neon --without-apache \
> --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/
>
> produces a svn that only has ra_svn and ra_local.  Now, is there a way to
> prevent ra_local from being included, too?  I'm thinking of a situation
> where I
> want to prevent any access except by svn://...

Yes, make sure bdb is not detected...

bye,

Erik.

Re: Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Posted by Alex Waugh <al...@alexwaugh.com>.
In message <40...@rowman.com>
          John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com> wrote:

> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
> > It depends on neon though, so if you
> > want to turn it off you can either get rid of neon, or force the matter
> > by passing (I think...) --without-neon to configure.
>
> Ah ha!  That's it then!
>
> $ ./configure --without-neon --without-apache \
> --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/
>
> produces a svn that only has ra_svn and ra_local.  Now, is there a way to
> prevent ra_local from being included, too?  I'm thinking of a
> situation where I  want to prevent any access except by svn://...

--without-berkeley-db

Alex

Re: Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
John Peacock wrote:
> John Peacock wrote:
>
>> Once I reboot that box, I'll nuke and reinstall and see if that is
>> still the case...
>>

> $ cat config.nice
> #! /bin/sh
> #
> # Created by configure
>
> "./configure" \
> "--without-apache" \
> "--with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/" \
> "$@"
>
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.0.0
>    compiled Feb 23 2004, 13:50:15
>
> Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
> Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
>
> The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
> * ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
>   - handles 'http' schema
> * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>   - handles 'file' schema
> * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
> protocol.
>   - handles 'svn' schema
>
> And this is on a box which doesn't even have Apache installed!  Should
> this even work this way?

Of course it should work that way, ra_dav has no dependency on Apache,
at least not the client end of it.  It depends on neon though, so if you
want to turn it off you can either get rid of neon, or force the matter
by passing (I think...) --without-neon to configure.

-garrett

Re: Build only ra_svn and ra_local

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
John Peacock wrote:

> Once I reboot that box, I'll nuke and reinstall and see if that is still
> the case...

$ cat config.nice
#! /bin/sh
#

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Sir Woody Hackswell wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, John Peacock wrote:
>
> --without-apache

Yep, tried that.  It appeared to build with the in-tree APR, but when I

Posted by Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com>.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, John Peacock wrote:

--without-apache

:)

-Richard Balint

> Just out of curiousity, is there a combination of configure options which will
> prevent the ra_dav modules from being built?  I know I can use
>
> 	--disable-mod-activation
>
> to prevent the Apache configuration from being changed, but it could be useful
> for certain situations to simply forgo building ra_dav at all.
>
> TIA
>
> John

------
Your wireless wombat will work you until the dance is over

Sir.Woody@Hackswell.com       http://sir.woody.hackswell.com