Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Serkan Camurcuoglu <se...@telenity.com> on 2008/06/02 23:19:52 UTC

Editing portlet placement using desktop

Hi all,
We want the portal administrator to edit portal pages by dragging and
dropping portlets, instead of using the move left, move right etc.
buttons, because it's more user friendly. Normal (i.e. non-admin) portal
users will not use the desktop interface but they will use the normal
portal interface. Here are a few simple questions:

- When I change the placement of a portlet using the desktop interface
(by drag and drop), will the normal portal page also change?
- The user can move portlets around in desktop mode, however he/she can
also click on the edit button and make more comprehensive changes to the
page layout. What's the difference between these two?
- How can I restrict the desktop/ url so that only the admin user can
access it? Should I use container managed security in web.xml?

Best regards,

SerkanC

Re: Editing portlet placement using desktop

Posted by Dennis Dam <d....@onehippo.com>.

Serkan Camurcuoglu wrote:
> Hi all,
> We want the portal administrator to edit portal pages by dragging and
> dropping portlets, instead of using the move left, move right etc.
> buttons, because it's more user friendly. Normal (i.e. non-admin)
> portal users will not use the desktop interface but they will use the
> normal portal interface. Here are a few simple questions:
>
> - When I change the placement of a portlet using the desktop interface
> (by drag and drop), will the normal portal page also change?

yes, they work on the same model AFAIK, they are just different GUI on
the same portal. I have to admit I didn't work a lot with the desktop
version, so I'm not sure. But you can try it and you will see whether
I'm right :)

> - The user can move portlets around in desktop mode, however he/she
> can also click on the edit button and make more comprehensive changes
> to the page layout. What's the difference between these two?

the difference is that with the former you can move around portlets
within a layout portlet (portlet that contains nested portlets) and with
the latter you can add portlets to a layout portlet and edit properties
of the layout portlet. Does that answer your question ?

> - How can I restrict the desktop/ url so that only the admin user can
> access it? Should I use container managed security in web.xml?
You can achieve that by adding a security constraint in web.xml of the
portal, here's an example:

<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>Manager</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/desktop/*</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>admin</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
  </security-constraint>

> Best regards,
>
> SerkanC

Hippo

d.dam@onehippo.com

San Francisco - Hippo USA Inc. 101 H Street, suite Q Petaluma CA 94952-3329 +1 (707) 773-4646

www.onehippo.com info@onehippo.com