Posted to adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org by Kuni <ku...@muschkoten-berlin.de> on 2006/07/25 19:45:47 UTC

'dynamic' breadcrumb navigation --> possible?

Hello,

i'm looking for a breadcrumb component.. i found the navigationPath
component provided by trinidad.. that's really nice but that's not what
i'm looking for! i imagine something like these:

<xy:breadcrumb delimiter=">>" />
which will render:   index >> page1 >> page2 >> page3

the component 'knows' your navigation history based on the navigation
rules. in the simpliest way you only should define an entry point. the
component observes your behavior to create a path like shown above. no
path definition is needed..

a well known strategy to create such path is to organize your sources in
structured directories and parsing the directory tree.. but that makes
no sense cause your source-tree depends on the navigation-path terrible ;)

anybody has a working example or knows hot to realize it? ..

regards,
Kuni

Re: 'dynamic' breadcrumb navigation --> possible?

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
With regards to the Trinidad navigationPath, you
can plug it into a model object.  So, the component
does what you need - but the hard work of defining
the model isn't there.

Trinidad is building an XMLMenuModel that will
automate breadcrumbs and more.

-- Adam

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Ray <ju...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Kuni,

We have a solution which does exactly what you want. However, it requires a
bit or organization of your JSF files. In particular:

A session-scoped stack to store previous views
A view-specific mechanism to push each new view to the stack
A standardized means to associate a view name with jsf page
A component to dynamically render the breadcrumb trail and
A backing bean to manage breadcrumb actions.

We have not yet had time to create a JSF component to encapsulate all this
coding but, if there is enough interest from the MyFaces community at large
I will try to put our methodology on the WIKI for you and others.

Julian