Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Hartmut Bernecker <h....@dhw.de> on 2002/01/31 14:28:15 UTC

SOAP with firewalls

My program uses the Apache SOAP 2.2 (Client) and some MS-ASP based SOAP
Server component (BTW: 4S4C). All is running well until now, but now I
am faced with a firewall. :-(((

The Situation:

SERVER:

* Tomcat with SOAP Client generating HTML-Output = myWEBSERVER
* SOAP Server (IIS with *.asp SOAP entry point) using some application
via (D)COM = myDATABASE

SECURITY-RESTRICTIONS:

* DMZ (--> myWEBSERVER)
* Company-Network behind firewall (--> myDATABASE)

Who has experience how to run a SOAP connection with a firewall.
The system administrator said to me, that he don't want to open any Port
from the DMZ into the internal network (e.g. Port 80). He said it would
be possible to allow the http-connection via an Apache Server (Proxy
functionality?).

Now I tried to simulate that by interposing an IIS 4.0 with a virtual
directory redirecting the SOAP Client (Tomcat) to the SOAP entry point
(IIS, *.asp).
But now:

SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Protocol; msg=Unsupported response
content type "text/html", must be: "text/xml". Response was:
HREF="http://ep169/ssss4c/asim10.asp">here</a></body>

OK.
But would be an alternative???
Who is experienced using SOAP over firewalls?

Any help very appreciated!

Cheers
Hartmut Bernecker

Re: Please unsubscribe me

Posted by Vinod Soni <vi...@btinternet.com>.

You will be unsubscribed.

Cheers.

Posted by Vinod Soni <vi...@btinternet.com>.

You will be unsubscribed.

Cheers.

Re: Please unsubscribe me

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Andrew Simpson wrote:

> I have tried repeatedly to unsubscribe from this list, and received
> acknowledgements, but still receive the messages.

That means you are subscribed under a second/different email address.

Check the header (full header) of the message you received from the
mailing list, e.g. this one,

In it you will find a line containing:

	 soap-dev-return-7703-dirkx=covalent.net@xml.apache.org

Where dirkx=covalent.net is replaced by your name. That is the name you
are subscribed as. With that - follow the instructions to unsubscribe.

DW

Re: Please unsubscribe me

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

Re: Please unsubscribe me

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

Re: Please unsubscribe me

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

Please unsubscribe me

Please unsubscribe me

Please unsubscribe me

Please unsubscribe me

RE: SOAP with firewalls

Posted by Randy Charles Morin <ra...@sportmarkets.com>.
Ask your sysadmin if you can open a port between two specific IP nodes, the
Tomcat and IIS
servers. He may have thought you meant to generally open the port for all
traffic. If he
doesn't like that solution then his rules need to be relaxed.

Randy Charles Morin
mailto:randy@kbcafe.com
http://www.kbcafe.com/

RE: SOAP with firewalls