Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net> on 2003/07/02 17:57:00 UTC

Testing Frameworks - experience/recommendation

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed previously, but I’d like some user
feedback.
I’m going to start writing test cases soon, and I’d like to know
people’s experience
using the various frameworks available.

First off, my environment: I’m using Struts talking to ejbs (session
façade to entity beans).
So to test, I’d like to test both functionality, and performance under
load.

My understanding is about the frameworks available is that they pretty
much all use Junit.
I know that strutstestcase is recommended a lot, but it doesn’t seem
obvious to me how
to do load testing with it, like I could with JunitPerf.

Anyone’s experience, advice would be very much appreciated,
Thanks,
Brian

RE: Testing Frameworks - experience/recommendation

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
Thanks to both Erik and Simon for the
excellent advice/links,
Regards,
Brian

> I know this has been discussed previously, but I’d like some user
> feedback.
> I’m going to start writing test cases soon, and I’d like to know
> people’s experience
> using the various frameworks available.
>
> First off, my environment: I’m using Struts talking to ejbs (session
> façade to entity beans).
> So to test, I’d like to test both functionality, and performance under
> load.
>
> My understanding is about the frameworks available is that they pretty
> much all use Junit.
> I know that strutstestcase is recommended a lot, but it doesn’t seem
> obvious to me how
> to do load testing with it, like I could with JunitPerf.
>
> Anyone’s experience, advice would be very much appreciated,

Not specific to load or performance testing, but I found the following
article helpful in testing some parts of my model/domain code:

<http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-mocktest.html>

The only problem is that if you are using ServiceLocator pattern, and
you wish to subclass the ServiceLocator to override its behavior (so
that you can have it provide mock objects instead of actual database
connections or EJB handles, etc), static methods are not inherited in
subclasses.  For instance, I am using a static method to access the
ServiceLocator singleton instance....

Erik

Re: Testing Frameworks - experience/recommendation

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.