Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mysurf Mail <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/24 17:51:37 UTC

why does the has to be indexed.

Currently, I cant describe my unique key with indexed false.

As I understand from the docs the field attribute <indexed> should be true
only if i want the field to be searchable or sortable.

Let's say I have a schema with id and name only, wouldn't I want the
following configuration
id - indexed "false", stored = true
name indexed "true", stored = true

I don't want the id to be searched but I would want it to be defined as the
unique key and to be stored (for retrieval).

Re: why does the has to be indexed.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
If you use the edismax query parser, the "uf" parameter can be set to
restrict the fields that the user can directly reference.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On 24 June 2013 21:21, Mysurf Mail <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently, I cant describe my unique key with indexed false.
>
> As I understand from the docs the field attribute <indexed> should be true
> only if i want the field to be searchable or sortable.
>
> Let's say I have a schema with id and name only, wouldn't I want the
> following configuration
> id - indexed "false", stored = true
> name indexed "true", stored = true
>
> I don't want the id to be searched but I would want it to be defined as the
> unique key and to be stored (for retrieval).

Please do some basic homework on your own, and ask
more specific questions. It is unlikely that anybody on
this mailing list  understands what you mean by the
description in your second paragraph as it seems to
be specific to your use case.

A unique key is not required, but is a good idea in most
cases. Please see http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UniqueKey
which describes cases where you can do without one.

Regards,
Gora

RE: why does the has to be indexed.

Posted by Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com>.
To enforce uniqueness, Solr needs to be able to search on the id to see if it is currently in the index.

-Michael