Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2016/02/18 04:18:46 UTC

pull request template

Github introduced a new feature today that allows projects to define
templates for pull requests. I pushed a very simple template to the
repository:

https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/.github/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE

Over time I think we can see how this works and perhaps add a small
checklist to the pull request template so contributors are reminded every
time they submit a pull request the important things to do in a pull
request (e.g. having proper tests).

## What changes were proposed in this pull request?

(Please fill in changes proposed in this fix)

## How was the this patch tested?

(Please explain how this patch was tested. E.g. unit tests, integration
tests, manual tests)

(If this patch involves UI changes, please attach a screenshot; otherwise,
remove this)

Re: pull request template

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.
+1 on Marcelo's comments.  It would be nice not to pollute commit messages
with the  instructions because some people might forget to remove them.
Nobody has suggested removing the template.

Marcelo

Re: pull request template

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
Nobody has suggested removing the template.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Joseph Bradley <jo...@databricks.com> wrote:
> +1 for keeping the template
>
> I figure any template will require conscientiousness & enforcement.
>
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>> The template is a great thing as it gets instructions even more right
>> in front of people.
>>
>> Another idea is to just write a checklist of items, like "did you
>> describe your changes? did you test? etc." with instructions to delete
>> the text and replace with a description. This keeps the boilerplate
>> titles out of the commit message.
>>
>> The special character and post processing just takes that a step further.
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 1:31 AM, Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hey all,
>> >
>> > Just wanted to ask: how do people like this new template?
>> >
>> > While I think it's great to have instructions for people to write
>> > proper commit messages, I think the current template has a few
>> > downsides.
>> >
>> > - I tend to write verbose commit messages already when I'm preparing a
>> > PR. Now when I open the PR I have to edit the summary field to remove
>> > all the boilerplate.
>> > - The template ends up in the commit messages, and sometimes people
>> > forget to remove even the instructions.
>> >
>> > Instead, what about changing the template a bit so that it just has
>> > instructions prepended with some character, and have those lines
>> > removed by the merge_spark_pr.py script? We could then even throw in a
>> > link to the wiki as Sean suggested since it won't end up in the final
>> > commit messages.

>> > --
>> > Marcelo

Marcelo

Re: pull request template

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
I think it'd make sense to have the merge script automatically remove some
parts of the template, if they were not removed by the contributor. That
seems trivial to do.

Re: pull request template

Posted by Joseph Bradley <jo...@databricks.com>.
+1 for keeping the template

Re: pull request template

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Re: pull request template

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
Hey all,

--
Marcelo

Re: pull request template

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Re: pull request template

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Re: pull request template

Posted by Iulian Dragoș <iu...@typesafe.com>.
It's a good idea. I would add in there the spec for the PR title. I always
get wrong the order between Jira and component.

Moreover, CONTRIBUTING.md is also lacking them. Any reason not to add it
there? I can open PRs for both, but maybe you want to keep that info on the
wiki instead.

iulian

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:18 AM, Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> wrote:

> Github introduced a new feature today that allows projects to define
> templates for pull requests. I pushed a very simple template to the
> repository:
>
> https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/.github/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE
>

> Over time I think we can see how this works and perhaps add a small
> checklist to the pull request template so contributors are reminded every
> time they submit a pull request the important things to do in a pull
> request (e.g. having proper tests).
>

> ## What changes were proposed in this pull request?
>
> (Please fill in changes proposed in this fix)
>

> ## How was the this patch tested?
>
> (Please explain how this patch was tested. E.g. unit tests, integration
> tests, manual tests)
>

> (If this patch involves UI changes, please attach a screenshot; otherwise,
> remove this)

Iulian Dragos

------
Reactive Apps on the JVM