Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com> on 2012/08/14 22:11:12 UTC

Custom Jars for a config in the Solr Cloud world..

I've got a Solr instance with a number of cores that are each configured by upload the configuration information to ZooKeeper.  The newest index needs the UIMA jars.  Normally I would put them in the core's /lib directory, but since I am only accessing my server via ZooKeeper, I don't have that directory as an option.

I know I could manually upload the jars onto the server, and then put some sort of path to them, but I'm hoping to manage all uploading of core specific configurations (and jars) via ZooKeeper.  I'm wondering if I am missing something in this new ZooKeeper enabled world....?   Just for fun, I'm going to try and put the ~ 2 MB worth of Jars inside my /conf/ directory and then upload through ZooKeeper to see what happens.

Eric

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Apache Solr 3 Enterprise Search Server available from http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Custom Jars for a config in the Solr Cloud world..

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:
: I know I could manually upload the jars onto the server, and then put
: some sort of path to them, but I'm hoping to manage all uploading of
: core specific configurations (and jars) via ZooKeeper.  I'm wondering if

i would use one or more explicit <lib ... /> directives in your
solrconfig.xml file, pointing at absolute paths where you consistently
upload these jars on every machine (or better still: use sharedLib in
solr.xml) rather then the implicit ./lib per core.

that way no matter how many collections you create on these machines (or
how many solr instances), the configs can all point to a single uniform
place on the machine to find these jars instead of needing ot copy them
arround.

yes: you still have to upload them to the machines yourself, but you also
have to upload solr to these machines yourself -- code needs deployed,
even if it's a plugin.

>> ... maybe I just need to tweak my <lib/> definitions in my
>> solrconfig.xml to look for all the places that Jars may exist, even
>> though on my local box it's different then on my integration Solr box.

doesn't sound very cloud-ish to have diff stuff installed in diff places
on diff machines ... but you could use a system property to specify the
basepath for all your libs and then override it on your dev machine.

-Hoss

Re: Custom Jars for a config in the Solr Cloud world..

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
And I can now confirm that yes, ZooKeeper blows up when I attempted to add all the UIMA and content extraction jars to my conf/ directory in ZooKeeper!  A couple small jars did upload, and then it started sending back "java.io.IOException: Broken pipe" errors.

So any thoughts on the best way to manage Jars that seem like they should be part of your config?  Small jars I think will work, and maybe I just need to tweak my <lib/> definitions in my solrconfig.xml to look for all the places that Jars may exist, even though on my local box it's different then on my integration Solr box.  Just seems  a bit messy ;-)

Eric