Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2007/04/09 20:09:02 UTC

[COMMITTERS] rebuilding the various sites

[ This is tagged [COMMITTERS] because if you are not one, this mail is
boring. It is about some Velocity internal house keeping and only
tangential to Velocity development ]

The following sites can be built running a script from
velocity.zones.apache.org. I've rebuilt all of the sites a few times
yesterday and today and it works satisfactory for me:

Velocity main site (velocity.apache.org)
Velocity DocBook Framework site (velocity.apache.org/docbook)
Velocity Site Tools site (velocity.apache.org/site/tools)
Velocity Engine site (velocity.apache.org/engine/devel)

All of these get built the same way:

* log onto velocity.zones.apache.org
* newgrp velocity
* run the appropriate script from /export/homes/velocity/bin

    build_velocity_site.sh
    build_velocity_docbook_site.sh
    build_velocity_site_tools_site.sh
    build_velocity_engine_site.sh

each of these updates the corresponding site into the
/export/home/velocity/deploy folder, then runs "mvn clean site
site:deploy" on the site.

These updates use an offlined maven (mvn -o) to make sure that the
builds stay reproducible.

As the maven installed on velocity.zones has a few patches that
separate it from the "out of the box" maven, offlining is the easiest
way to make sure that these do not get overwritten. The patches are to
Doxia, Doxia-Sitetools and the site and changes plugins and mainly
cosmetic in nature. I expect most of them to be rolled into Maven, if
the glacial pace of the Doxia development ever picks them up.

For the main site, the whole process is also documented on
http://velocity.apache.org/site-building.html (as soon as the mirrors
have picked up the changes).

These scripts are intended to reduce the fear of rebuilding the
sites. We do rebuild by far not often enough, especially the engine
site should be updated as often as possible so that it reflects our
development process.

Please test.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

	       "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."

Re: [COMMITTERS] rebuilding the various sites

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
[somehow I took the list off the email - resending]

Hi,

Thanks.  I need some baby steps here.

I ran the SSH and it asked for a password.  Then I ran the script again,
same issue.

I figure I'll need to generate a public/private SSH key and install.  (I can
have multiple keys -- don't need to use my main SSH key, right?)  It looks
like the script is checking velocity/.ssh for the key, which I don't have
access to.

WILL

--
Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: [COMMITTERS] rebuilding the various sites

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

Will Glass-Husain schrieb:
> Hi Henning,
>
> I'm trying to rebuild the engine docs.  There's a few minor things
> missing from your notes which I note below.  (perhaps they are all
> obvious).  But I'm still stuck.
>
> (1) You need to set JAVA_HOME
>
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/latest/
> export JAVA_HOME

Yes /usr/java or /usr/j2sdk

> (2) You need to have mvn in your path
> /local/bin/mvn

Yes. /usr/local/bin is even better.

> (3) After calling the script to build the site, you need to go to the
> site directory before running maven.
>
> cd /export/home/velocity/deploy/velocity-engine-site/

No. Normally, the script should build and deploy in one go. No more
steps needed.

> HOWEVER,
>
> I'm getting an error when I run the following.  Any suggestions?

Yes. This is intentional. It means that you are not using the local repo
in ~velocity/.m2/repository. The -beta-6 is the version with patches
build locally. There is not beta-6 on the global repos.

Can you tell me exactly what commands you ran? Normally a

newgrp velocity
~velocity/bin/<script>

should work well.

Do you have a site config in your ~/.m2/settings.xml ?

*Please* do not run maven directly for these scripts. The repo is
intentionally frozen (i.e. maven runs offline) so that some 'updates'
from central will not destroy the working version (yes, sometimes they
do this).

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Will Glass-Husain" <wg...@gmail.com> writes:

>------=_Part_9080_11993027.1176145659145

>Here's a dumb question...

>Will this automatically pick up the latest user's guide, javadocs etc for
>the engine for the "devel" directory?

Yes. Everything that is in the engine distribution and all reports are
rebuilt. This is a full maven site build.

I have similar scripts for Anakia and Texen now, too. The sites are
linked from the main site, as soon as the mirrors have picked them up,
they should be visible.

The idea is to create documentation *easily*. Only *easy* docs are
maintained. Only maintained docs are useful. Only useful docs make a
successful project.

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.