Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org> on 2006/01/02 16:59:39 UTC

spamassassin.org was broken ... for a few weeks ...

/var/named/spamassassin.org had:

<<<<<<< .mine
$INCLUDE /var/named/spamassassin.org.d/soa_line
=======
; see "directory layout" at EOF
$INCLUDE /var/named/spamassassin.org.d/soa_line

caused named to not load the zone file.  Prodding the logs, the errors
started:

Dec 22 01:33:21 spamassassin.zones.apache.org sudo: [ID 702911 local2.notice]
updatesd : TTY=pts/2 ; PWD=/home
/updatesd/svn/spamassassin ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/rndc reload
Dec 22 01:33:21 spamassassin.zones.apache.org named[23577]: [ID 873579
daemon.info] loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf'
Dec 22 01:33:21 spamassassin.zones.apache.org named[23577]: [ID 873579
daemon.warning] dns_master_load: spamassassin.org:4: unknown RR type '.mine'
Dec 22 01:33:21 spamassassin.zones.apache.org named[23577]: [ID 873579
daemon.error] zone spamassassin.org/IN: loading master file spamassassin.org: unknown class/type

Please be careful with the DNS stuff.  The SOA record kept the info
working on the secondaries for a while (around 1w) which is why things
generally worked up until around the 30th or so.  I was wondering why my
nightly runs weren't happening...

I wonder if we should talk to the infra folks to see about getting
zone/pmc-specific nagios monitoring/alerting setup.  They shouldn't be
bothered with stuff in our zone being down (though they should if the
zone itself is down), but it'd be nice for us not to have to setup a
whole monitoring infrastructure since they already have one.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"... the Saab company didn't report a slight problem with the Saab 9000