Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by vincent gromakowski <vi...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/01 13:16:53 UTC

cassandra disks cache on SSD

I am looking for way to optimize large reads.
I have seen using SSD is a good option but out of budget, so I am looking
for a way to use some kind of tiering with few SSD caching hot data from
HDD.
I have identified two solutions and would like to get opinions from you and
if you have any experience using them:
- use ZFS with L2ARC functionality
- use Rapiddisk/Rapidcache Linux kernel module
Any opinion ? Constraints ? REX ?
Thanks

Re: cassandra disks cache on SSD

Posted by Mateusz Korniak <ma...@ant.gliwice.pl>.
On Friday 01 April 2016 21:48:08 vincent gromakowski wrote:
> > We are using lvmcache for that.
>
> Can you provide me a approximate estimation of performance gain ?

I suspect it depends on frequently read data size. If it fits into caching
SSDs.
In our scenario, adding one 250GB SSD to nodes owning 1.2 TB resulted in 75%
read cache hit ratio.
It was enough to stop nodes being I/O bound and application to work without
read timeouts.

--
Mateusz Korniak
"(...) mam brata - poważny, domator, liczykrupa, hipokryta, pobożniś,

Re: cassandra disks cache on SSD

Posted by Bryan Cheng <br...@blockcypher.com>.
Hi Vincent, have you already tried the more common tuning operations like
row cache?

I haven't done any disk level caching like this (we use SSD's exclusively),
but you may see some benefit from putting your commitlog on a separate
conventional HDD if you haven't tried this already. This may push your
read/write pattern to do more sequential access.

Posted by vincent gromakowski <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mateusz Korniak <ma...@ant.gliwice.pl>.