Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Anirudha Jadhav <an...@nyu.edu> on 2015/08/31 21:46:20 UTC

Avro Tranformation Language / Avro Graph

Hello All,

I would like to introduce you all to a project which we have been working
on using Avro and get some feedback.

1. AvroGraph
------------
We have created an avro to graphml serializer / deserializer. This allows
us to visualize avro schemas in a graph to understand the relation between
all the data points. This will later lead to creation of lineage graphs
among other things
- Implementation
  o similar to json serializer / deserializer
  o Apache Tinkerpop is used as a graph library and can be used to persist
to a variety of graph stores.
  o support for scheme evolution between multiple version of the avro
schemas
  o lot of unit tests and documentation

2. Avro Transformation Language
-------------------------------
This is YAML based specification that will transform a data in a source
schema to a target schema. For this we introduce a "transform node" to join
the two schemas
 - The following operations can be done during the source to target data
transformations
   o Copy source leaves to target leaves
   o Copy source parent nodes to target parent nodes, only if the sub
graphs have the same structure.
   o Concatenate source nodes and copy to a target node
   o User-defined operations on the transforms
   o Extract certain leaves from the source and call an external end point
for data manipulation  eg. Spark / Http

Let me know how/if these components would benefit the apache avro project
and accordingly we would like to contribute it to the apache avro project.

-Ani

Re: Avro Tranformation Language / Avro Graph

Posted by Anirudha Jadhav <an...@nyu.edu>.
I need to go through approval process to release source, I wanted some feed
back while that process in in progress. Let me know if you have any
question or comments that I can address

- Anirudha Jadhav

--
Anirudha P. Jadhav

Re: Avro Tranformation Language / Avro Graph

Posted by Anirudha Jadhav <an...@nyu.edu>.

--
Anirudha P. Jadhav

Re: Avro Tranformation Language / Avro Graph

Posted by Anirudha Jadhav <an...@nyu.edu>.

--
Anirudha P. Jadhav

Re: Avro Tranformation Language / Avro Graph

Posted by Prajwal Tuladhar <pr...@infynyxx.com>.
Hi Anirudha,

Is it possible to view the source of those projects?

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Anirudha Jadhav <an...@nyu.edu> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I would like to introduce you all to a project which we have been working
> on using Avro and get some feedback.
>
> 1. AvroGraph
> ------------
> We have created an avro to graphml serializer / deserializer. This allows
> us to visualize avro schemas in a graph to understand the relation between
> all the data points. This will later lead to creation of lineage graphs
> among other things
> - Implementation
>   o similar to json serializer / deserializer
>   o Apache Tinkerpop is used as a graph library and can be used to persist
> to a variety of graph stores.
>   o support for scheme evolution between multiple version of the avro
> schemas
>   o lot of unit tests and documentation
>
> 2. Avro Transformation Language
> -------------------------------
> This is YAML based specification that will transform a data in a source
> schema to a target schema. For this we introduce a "transform node" to join
> the two schemas
>  - The following operations can be done during the source to target data
> transformations
>    o Copy source leaves to target leaves
>    o Copy source parent nodes to target parent nodes, only if the sub
> graphs have the same structure.
>    o Concatenate source nodes and copy to a target node
>    o User-defined operations on the transforms
>    o Extract certain leaves from the source and call an external end point
> for data manipulation  eg. Spark / Http
>

> Let me know how/if these components would benefit the apache avro project
> and accordingly we would like to contribute it to the apache avro project.
>
> -Ani

Cheers,
Praj