Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <av...@fortytwo.ch> on 2004/09/09 10:14:25 UTC

A few evaluation questions

[No cc:s pls, I read the list]

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating various CMS, and so far Typo3, Mambo and Lenya look
quite good (so feel free to do a bit of bashing :-)
(Oh, and: http://www.cmsmatrix.org does not contain Lenya.)

Primary question: is Lenya ready for prime time? (Not 1000s of pages, but
perhaps 20 small sites managed through one interface.

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PoweredBy is a bit thin. Other sites?
There must be more (at least I hope so...) Just to get a feel of what
poeple do with Lenya.

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PublicationTemplating seems to be
exactly what I want to do - which begs the question: what is the status of
Lenya 1.4?

Multilingual content: I believe Lenya handles this gracefully. Does this
include a tracking facility, so that translators can get an overview of
where work is needed? If not, how much work would that be, I guess based on
workflows?

Staging: versioning is, I believe, covered well in Lenya. Can this be
combined with staging - author modifies a page, creating a new version, but
this only goes life after it has been approved? Is versioning per file (CVS
style), or is the site as a whole versioned (svn style, including
renaming)?

User management: What permission management does Lenya support? Hierarchical
user groups? How about authenticating users with the system user base (or
radius/LDAP whatever, ideally over PAM)?

Commercial support: is there a list of people doing web design and support
(specifically: Zürich, Switzerland).

thanks a lot
-- vbi

--
this email is protected by a digital signature: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

Re: A few evaluation questions

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> [No cc:s pls, I read the list]
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently evaluating various CMS, and so far Typo3, Mambo and Lenya look
> quite good (so feel free to do a bit of bashing :-)
> (Oh, and: http://www.cmsmatrix.org does not contain Lenya.)
>
> Primary question: is Lenya ready for prime time? (Not 1000s of pages, but
> perhaps 20 small sites managed through one interface.

The number of pages doesn't matter (serving several 1000s of pages is
not a problem; maybe the site management will be a little slow, this
will be improved in 1.4).

As Christian already pointed out, the page (pipeline) complexity is
much more important.

[...]

> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PublicationTemplating seems to be
> exactly what I want to do - which begs the question: what is the status of
> Lenya 1.4?

The publication templating is in a very early development state.
It basically works, but is not yet tested - bugs are expected.

[...]

> Staging: versioning is, I believe, covered well in Lenya. Can this be
> combined with staging - author modifies a page, creating a new version, but
> this only goes life after it has been approved? Is versioning per file (CVS
> style), or is the site as a whole versioned (svn style, including
> renaming)?

It's per file, but renaming is supported (no new history is started
after renaming a document).

> User management: What permission management does Lenya support? Hierarchical
> user groups? How about authenticating users with the system user base (or
> radius/LDAP whatever, ideally over PAM)?

http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/accesscontrol/terms.html
(and following pages)

> Commercial support: is there a list of people doing web design and support
> (specifically: Zürich, Switzerland).

http://www.wyona.com
(some of the Lenya core developers are working there)

-- Andreas

Re: A few evaluation questions

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

[...]

> it probably makes sense to backport the publication templating to the
> 1.2 branch

That would probably be nice, but ATM I'm doing experimental surgery
to make it work (stripping out java.io.File from the form editor
save actions). I think the backport would be a major invasion, but
let's wait for user experiences first (maybe it works like a charm
:) ).

-- Andreas

Re: A few evaluation questions

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

 > ETA on 1.4? JP said that the branch was just opened - but that can mean
 > different thing depending on how branches are used...
 >
 > I'm homing in on this, because we'll have families of related sites some
 > default design that then is to be customized per site, and these
 > hierarchical templates that are described in PublicationTemplating
really
 > look like what we want.

it probably makes sense to backport the publication templating to the
1.2 branch. 1.4 won't be out for a while.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: A few evaluation questions

Posted by Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <av...@fortytwo.ch>.
Thanks to all!

On Thursday 09 September 2004 11.38, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> >(Oh, and: http://www.cmsmatrix.org does not contain Lenya.)
>
> it's listed as "Apache Lenya" ;-)

Arrgh! :-)

> >http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PoweredBy is a bit thin. Other
> > sites? There must be more (at least I hope so...) Just to get a feel of
> > what poeple do with Lenya.
>
> not everyone wants to tell that they are using Lenya ;-)

At least there's more than the one (and, of course, NZZ). The two lists
should probably be merged...

http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/community/live-sites.html

> >http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PublicationTemplating seems to be
> >exactly what I want to do - which begs the question: what is the status
> > of Lenya 1.4?
>
> 1.4 is dev branch (trunk) where the following features should get
> implemented:
>
> 1) Repository Layer (JSR-170)
> 2) Publication Layer (API)
> 3) Better integration of the Cocoon Portlet Framework
> 4) Publets Framework
> 5) XUL and XAML
>
> 1.2.x is the stable branch (bug fix releases)

ETA on 1.4? JP said that the branch was just opened - but that can mean
different thing depending on how branches are used...

I'm homing in on this, because we'll have families of related sites some
default design that then is to be customized per site, and these
hierarchical templates that are described in PublicationTemplating really
look like what we want.

> HTH

Lots :-)

-- vbi

--
Programmer's Time-Space Continuum: Programmers continuously space the time.

Re: A few evaluation questions

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

>[No cc:s pls, I read the list]
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm currently evaluating various CMS, and so far Typo3, Mambo and Lenya look
>quite good (so feel free to do a bit of bashing :-)
>(Oh, and: http://www.cmsmatrix.org does not contain Lenya.)

it's listed as "Apache Lenya" ;-)

>Primary question: is Lenya ready for prime time? (Not 1000s of pages, but
>perhaps 20 small sites managed through one interface.

sure

>http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PoweredBy is a bit thin. Other sites?
>There must be more (at least I hope so...) Just to get a feel of what
>poeple do with Lenya.

not everyone wants to tell that they are using Lenya ;-)

>http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PublicationTemplating seems to be
>exactly what I want to do - which begs the question: what is the status of
>Lenya 1.4?

1.4 is dev branch (trunk) where the following features should get
implemented:

1) Repository Layer (JSR-170)
2) Publication Layer (API)
3) Better integration of the Cocoon Portlet Framework
4) Publets Framework
5) XUL and XAML

1.2.x is the stable branch (bug fix releases)

>Multilingual content: I believe Lenya handles this gracefully. Does this
>include a tracking facility, so that translators can get an overview of
>where work is needed?

this would have to be customized

>If not, how much work would that be, I guess based on
>workflows?

depends on the specific requirements

>Staging: versioning is, I believe, covered well in Lenya. Can this be
>combined with staging - author modifies a page, creating a new version, but
>this only goes life after it has been approved?

arbitrary workflows can be created whereas the submit/approve/reject
workflow already exists within the default

>Is versioning per file (CVS
>style), or is the site as a whole versioned (svn style, including
>renaming)?

per file

>User management: What permission management does Lenya support? Hierarchical
>user groups? How about authenticating users with the system user base (or
>radius/LDAP whatever, ideally over PAM)?

LDAP is possible. Lenya has its own Access Control framework with
existing implementations, but it can be easily enhanced to one's
specific needs.

HTH

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: A few evaluation questions

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> Primary question: is Lenya ready for prime time? (Not 1000s of
> pages, but perhaps 20 small sites managed through one interface.

Sure.  Its being used in many live commercial sites.

> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PoweredBy is a bit thin. Other
> sites?  There must be more (at least I hope so...) Just to get a
> feel of what poeple do with Lenya.

This is out of date.  I'll at least add our sites.

> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PublicationTemplating seems to
> be exactly what I want to do - which begs the question: what is
> the status of Lenya 1.4?

The branch was just started.

> Multilingual content: I believe Lenya handles this gracefully.
> Does this include a tracking facility, so that translators can get
> an overview of where work is needed? If not, how much work would
> that be, I guess based on workflows?

Lenya has full support internationalization support.

I don't quite understand your tracking requirement.  Do you mean
which documents don't have certain language versions?  If so, no
Lenya doesn't have this built in but it would be easy to add.

> Staging: versioning is, I believe, covered well in Lenya. Can this be
> combined with staging - author modifies a page, creating a new version, but
> this only goes life after it has been approved? Is versioning per file (CVS
> style), or is the site as a whole versioned (svn style, including
> renaming)?

Verisioning is applied to the authoring staging area.  Out of the
box, lenya supports authoring and  live staging areas.  You can add
more. Version is per file.

> User management: What permission management does Lenya support? Hierarchical
> user groups? How about authenticating users with the system user base (or
> radius/LDAP whatever, ideally over PAM)?

Take a look at the administrative screens.  There is extensive user
management facilities.

LDAP is supported.

> Commercial support: is there a list of people doing web design and
> support (specifically: Z�rich, Switzerland).

Yes there are several companies (including my own).  In Zurich there
is Wyona.

--
JP

AW: A few evaluation questions

Posted by Christian Pfaff <ch...@she.net>.

I just evaluated Lenya.

> Primary question: is Lenya ready for prime time? (Not 1000s of pages, but
> perhaps 20 small sites managed through one interface.

I guess you mean the ability of going online with it?
Well, 20 sites should be no problem, whereby afaik the performance does not
so much depend on the number of sites, but on the complexity of sitemap
definitions.
Cocoon recommends 512 MB RAM for a server. I didnt run performance test by
myself, but for Lenya, i wouldnt start with 500Mhz Intel ;-)

> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PoweredBy is a bit thin. Other sites?
> There must be more (at least I hope so...) Just to get a feel of what
> poeple do with Lenya.

yep. try

http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/community/live-sites.html

> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/PublicationTemplating seems to be
> exactly what I want to do - which begs the question: what is the
> status of
> Lenya 1.4?

good question. maybe you should ask in the lenya developers list.

> Multilingual content: I believe Lenya handles this gracefully. Does this
> include a tracking facility, so that translators can get an overview of
> where work is needed? If not, how much work would that be, I
> guess based on
> workflows?

No.
An approach to that is:

- write an xslt that creates a report on the language versions in the
sitetree.xml
- add a functional link for that in the menu
- edit the sitemaps, to integrate the new site in the publication

if you are new to Lenya and Cocoon, this is a real challange ;-)

> Staging: versioning is, I believe, covered well in Lenya. Can this be
> combined with staging - author modifies a page, creating a new
> version, but
> this only goes life after it has been approved?

you could create a user, who has submit and publishing - rights.

>Is versioning per
> file (CVS
> style), or is the site as a whole versioned (svn style, including
> renaming)?
>
> User management: What permission management does Lenya support?
> Hierarchical
> user groups? How about authenticating users with the system user base (or
> radius/LDAP whatever, ideally over PAM)?
>
> Commercial support: is there a list of people doing web design
> and support
> (specifically: Zürich, Switzerland).

if there is one, please tell me :)

Chris