Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/12/07 15:17:31 UTC

[Code Freeze] Avalon should be in code freeze (was Re: *Temporarily* relenting and moving on.)

I realized my last post should have had a new title so as not to be lost.
Please come up with issues for Avalon Framework--and we will decide if it
is a showstopper, a minor but allowable change (spelling/correction of
documentation), or something that will be placed on hold.

The CVS should have 100% back compatible code.  If this is not the case,
please alert me ASAP.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:26, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> I will commit it in the morning if all are in favor (it's on my machine
>>> at work).
>>

> I don't know why that email didn't go through.  Anyway, we have our
> configuration
> back to normal.  Are there any more open issues that need to be resolved
> _prior_
> to Avalon 4.1 release?
>
> * Configuration      - Resolved
> * ComponentValidator - On Hold
> * Logger             - Incorporated
> * Developer's Docs   - Updated
>

> Pending any unresolved issues, Avalon Framework should now be considered in
> Code Freeze.  It will remain so until the weekend is over, and I will
> make the
> release on Monday.  The only type of contributions that should be made to
> Avalon 4.1 are documentation spelling fixes.  The only types of changes to
> the code should be Javadoc spelling fixes.
>
> We have the weekend to come up with any showstoppers, so fire away!

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: [Code Freeze] Avalon should be in code freeze (was Re: *Temporarily* relenting and moving on.)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2001 01:17, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>I realized my last post should have had a new title so as not to be lost.
>>Please come up with issues for Avalon Framework--and we will decide if it
>>is a showstopper, a minor but allowable change (spelling/correction of
>>documentation), or something that will be placed on hold.
>>
>>The CVS should have 100% back compatible code.  If this is not the case,
>>please alert me ASAP.
>>

> Oh - we still have a show stopper. The tools code is still included in source
> distributions. We need to fix this prior to release.

I have the fix in CVS now (hopefully).

Also, there is one minor issue that I will have resolved before making the
release:  the docs are not being included in the bin distribution....

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2001 01:17, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>I realized my last post should have had a new title so as not to be lost.
>>Please come up with issues for Avalon Framework--and we will decide if it
>>is a showstopper, a minor but allowable change (spelling/correction of
>>documentation), or something that will be placed on hold.
>>
>>The CVS should have 100% back compatible code.  If this is not the case,
>>please alert me ASAP.
>>

> Oh - we still have a show stopper. The tools code is still included in source
> distributions. We need to fix this prior to release.

Will commit the fix momentarily.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: [Code Freeze] Avalon should be in code freeze (was Re: *Temporarily* relenting and moving on.)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:17:31AM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>I realized my last post should have had a new title so as not to be lost.
>>Please come up with issues for Avalon Framework--and we will decide if it
>>is a showstopper, a minor but allowable change (spelling/correction of
>>documentation), or something that will be placed on hold.
>>

> One issue: DefaultConfigurationSerializer doesn't output xmlns:*
> elements. Feed it:
>
> <x:foo xmlns:x="http://myco.com/documentation"/>
>
> and you'll get out:
>
> <x:foo/>
>
> I'm not sure how to fix it. Just generate xmlns attributes and hope
> javax.xml.transform.sax.TransformerHandler can handle them? Will play
> tomorrow..

If it is fixed before I get to it, +1 on commiting the bug fix.

> Also, Configuration javadocs need updating to reflect:
>  - the constructor flag system for determining if namespaces are used

+1  (I think I touched on it--but it couldbe made more clear)

>  - the removal of Namespace

Namespace was never in an official distribution--the only ones who know
about it are people who grabbed an unofficial jar.

>  - how getChild("foo:bar") is the non-namespace equivalent of
>    getChild("bar").

+1

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.