Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Vincent Dautremont <vi...@olamobile.com> on 2016/11/11 06:36:44 UTC

Kafka and compression

Hi,
Can anyone explain me in more detail how Kakfa works with compression ?
I've read the doc but it's not all clear to me.

- There are compression settings on the broker, the topic of a broker, a
producer.
Are they all the same setting and one takes precedence on another ?

- Is there a difference between compression for transfer and compression
for storage ?

- Is the compression done per message or per topic ?
For example, my message which will transit from / to kafka are in a JSON
format (so with similar structure). will compression compress a chunk of
several message (which I guess would be more efficient in my case
considering my bottle neck is the transport link) or will it compress every
message separately ?

The documentation would be great if illustrated with few examples  like :
Broker has compression type GZIP
Topic-A has compression Snappy
Topic-B has no compression setting
Producer-X has compression GZIP
Producer-Y has no compression settings.

explain what happens (on the wire, and on disk) when
X Produces to A
X Produces to B
Y Produces to A
Y Produces to B
+ explain if some settings n-uple are nonsense / imcompatible / could
result in errors.

Thank you.

computer.

Re: Kafka and compression

Posted by Francesco laTorre <fr...@openbet.com>.
+1

--
<http://www.openbet.com/> Francesco laTorre
Senior Developer

E: francesco.latorre@openbet.com
W: www.openbet.com
OpenBet Ltd
Chiswick Park Building 9
566 Chiswick High Rd
London
W4 5XT
<https://www.openbet.com/email_promo>
This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you
have received this message in error, please immediately notify the
postmaster@openbet.com and delete it from your system as well as any
copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by
OpenBet for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment
please do not print this e-mail unless necessary. OpenBet Ltd. Registered
Office: Chiswick Park Building 9, 566 Chiswick High Road, London, W4 5XT,
United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no.
3134634. VAT no. GB927523612