Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Convey, Christian J CIV NUWC NWPT" <ch...@navy.mil> on 2008/12/31 16:10:23 UTC

Mixing client / server versions?

I'm considering upgrading my Subversion *server* from version 1.4.3 to
something newer in the 1.5.x series.

My repositories are currently being served by a 1.4.3 server, and
most/all of the users are probably using svn clients from the 1.4.x
series.  My users currently have repositories checked out.

Does anyone know if this will cause any problems with the current
repositories, currently checked-out files, or older versions of
subversion client that presently work okay with my 1.4.3 server?

Thanks,
Christian

RE: Mixing client / server versions?

Posted by Vitaliy Sholokhov <vs...@marvel.com>.
We've had problems with the upgrade. When I've updated all clients
(tortoisesvn) to 1.5.* and upgraded svn server itself to 1.5.*, while
keeping the actual repositories at version 1.4.*, all clients constantly
get the same error:

"Repository moved permanently to 'http://10.2.8.10:81/toolbox/'; please
relocate"

This hasn't been resolved up until now. I haven't updated the actual
repositories to 1.5.* yet and tested this case scenario against that.

I'm considering upgrading my Subversion *server* from version 1.4.3 to
something newer in the 1.5.x series.

My repositories are currently being served by a 1.4.3 server, and
most/all of the users are probably using svn clients from the 1.4.x
series.  My users currently have repositories checked out.

Does anyone know if this will cause any problems with the current
repositories, currently checked-out files, or older versions of
subversion client that presently work okay with my 1.4.3 server?

Thanks,
Christian

Nothing contained in this e-mail shall (a) be considered a legally binding agreement, amendment or modification of any agreement with Marvel, each of which requires a fully executed agreement to be received by Marvel or (b) be deemed approval of any product, packaging, advertising or promotion material, which may only come from Marvel's Legal Department.

RE: Mixing client / server versions?

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html

Look at the "Compatibility Concerns", and "Working Copy and Repository
Format Changes" sections.  IIRC there's also a property that a hook
script can use to only allow version X clients to commit to the server.
That's in the SVN book somewhere.

RE: Mixing client / server versions?

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> Does anyone know if this will cause any problems with the current
> repositories, currently checked-out files, or older versions of
> subversion client that presently work okay with my 1.4.3 server?

IT won't be a problem as long as the client and server major version
match. So, 1.4 clients will work fine with a 1.5 server.

BOb