Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tim Bunce <Ti...@pobox.com> on 2010/04/28 19:48:55 UTC

Getting NYTProf to work with vhosts that use PerlOptions +Parent

This is proving to be tricky.

If I load Devel::NYTProf::Apache[1] in the main part of httpd.conf then
I get a profile that includes all the activity *except* for any activity
in vhosts that use +Parent.

If I load it inside the VirtualHost section then I get a profile of
activity within that vhost. Great. Except there's a problem...

For a profile to be useful it must be terminated properly. Devel::NYTProf
does that using an END block. Devel::NYTProf::Apache does that using

    sub child_exit { DB::_finish() }

    my $s = Apache2::ServerUtil->server;
    $s->push_handlers(PerlChildExitHandler => \&child_exit);

That works fine normally, but doesn't work with PerlOptions +Parent.
I get an error:
    [error] lookup of 'Devel::NYTProf::Apache::child_exit' failed

I presume that's because the $s doesn't refer to the vhost "I'm in".
I can use $s->next (after require Apache2::ServerRec) to iterate over
the vhosts but I can't see a way to find "my" vhost.

Is there one?

What I'm looking for is some way for *a specific vhost perl interpreter*
to run code at PerlChildExitHandler *in that interpreter*.

Any ideas?

Tim.

p.s. Simply adding END { DB::_finish() } to Devel::NYTProf::Apache gives
me a profile that ends during server initialization because the vhost
perl interpreter is initialized using perl_run() and PL_exit_flags |=
PERL_EXIT_DESTRUCT_END has not been set.  So I've now set PL_exit_flags
via NYTProf and that's giving me a usable profile for my limited case.
I've not yet looked-into how to generalise that into code that's work in
normal (non +Parent) case.

[1] http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/TIMB/Devel-NYTProf-3.11/lib/Devel/NYTProf/Apache.pm

Re: Getting NYTProf to work with vhosts that use PerlOptions +Parent

Posted by Tim Bunce <Ti...@pobox.com>.
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 04:02:05PM -0700, Fred Moyer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Tim Bunce <Ti...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:25:14PM -0400, Adam Prime wrote:
> >> Maybe you could try doing the push_handler for the ChildExitHandler
> >> when the ChildInitHandler executes?  Just a shot in the dark.
> >
> > Umm, but how to I get the ChildInitHandler handle to use the right perl
> > interpreter?
>
> I just tried to setup a test case but I don't have perl configured
> with ithreads.
>
> Can you do something like this, since each vhost servername is tied to
> that perl intepreter? (warning, untested code)
>
> sub child_exit {
>     my $vhost_servername = shift;
>
>     my $s = Apache2::ServerUtil->server;
>     return unless $s->hostname eq $vhost_servername;
>
>     DB::_finish();
> }
>
> $s->push_handlers(PerlChildExitHandler => \&child_exit($s->server_hostname );

The \&child_exit($s->server_hostname) syntax wouldn't work but I'll try
something along those lines. Thanks.

Tim.

Re: Getting NYTProf to work with vhosts that use PerlOptions +Parent

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.

Posted by Tim Bunce <Ti...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.