Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> on 2023/03/09 16:29:55 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Sling Commons Permissions 1.0.0

Hi,

We solved 2 issue in this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING/fixforversion/123525564

This is the initial release of the API module:
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-commons-permissions

And implementation module can be found here:
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-commons-permissions-sling

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesling-2723

You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the
signatures:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=sling-tooling-release.git;a=blob;f=check_staged_release.sh;hb=HEAD

Usage:
sh check_staged_release.sh 2723 /tmp/sling-staging

Please vote to approve this release:

  [ ] +1 Approve the release
  [ ]  0 Don't care
  [ ] -1 Don't release, because ...

This majority vote is open for at least 72 hours.

Regards,
O.

[VOTE][CANCELED] Release Apache Sling Commons Permissions 1.0.0

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Thursday, 9 March 2023 17:29:55 CEST Oliver Lietz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We solved 2 issue in this release:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING/fixforversion/123525564
>
> This is the initial release of the API module:
> https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-commons-permissions
>
> And implementation module can be found here:
> https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-commons-permissions-sling
>
> Staging repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesling-2723
[...]

No consent.

O.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling Commons Permissions 1.0.0

Posted by Konrad Windszus <kw...@apache.org>.
IIRC Commons is used as name infix for all bundles not having a dependency on other Sling bundles (i.e. are not really Sling-specific)
As long as the only implementation is not fulfilling that requirement (due to https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-commons-permissions-sling/blob/a3169947676fe267f47219446e72f9c204591d8a/pom.xml#L210) I agree that we should leave out “Commons” from the name and also add the suffix API, so +1 to the proposal from Eric.
At the same time the implementation should be renamed accordingly as well.

Konrad

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Thursday, 15 June 2023 16:25:47 CEST Stefan Seifert wrote:
> it's also difficult for me to validate the release (and it seems the staging
> repo is no longer available).

> i'm missing a bit context here, and the READMEs in the two repos and the
> related tickets SLING-11341, SLING-11688 do not contain much content. can
> you give an outline of the planed use case for this tiny API? and the
> implementation?

See SLING-9644 for Sling Pipes and SLING-11254 for Sling Clam which are the
causing issues for SLING-11341.

In 3ab1317² you can see the use case of Commons Permissions and the Sling
implementation in the test configuration for Sling Clam.

> the term "permission" is already used in JCR/oak context [1], but obviously
> your are targeting at a different type of permission although also to be
> managed by nodes in the repository if the "sling" implementation is used.
> still this can be confusing for the users and should be described in the
> documentation or readme.

I guess it's because permissions are required everywhere. The term is also
used by Java Security. The Commons Permissions module could be used outside of
Sling not using Sling/JCR APIs but something else. The README for the Sling
implementation states:

"The Sling Permissions Service maps permissions to JCR items and checks if
given Principal has read access via Session#itemExists($permission)."

The Oak permissions are resource related while Commons Permissions aims at
tasks/actions (see below).

O.

> [1] https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/security/permission.html

[2] https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-clam/commit/
3ab1317b5dc31b14c35e4c5755b98ddeca46253b

Posted by Stefan Seifert <St...@diva-e.com.INVALID>.
ok, thanks for the information, it's fine from my side.
maybe a bit more context could be added to the README to avoid to having to dig this all up in mailing lists.

for a vote you need to restart the voting process because the nexus repo is no longer available.

stefan

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Stefan Seifert <St...@diva-e.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.