Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Martin Kuhn <ma...@gmx.at> on 2009/01/13 13:07:10 UTC

Design question from a SMX newbie (handle temporarily unavailable target service)

Hi,

I'm relativley new with SMX (I use SMX 4) and have to handle the following
workflow.

Here is my basic infrastructure:

1)
A client calls the SMX with a http call (catched by a http:consumer).
The content of the call is a simple xml structure (<service
name="xyzservice">...</service>) and is marhalled by
org.apache.servicemix.http.endpoints.DefaultHttpConsumerMarshaler.

2)
The request is delegated to a servicemix-bean where the kind of the service
is analyzed (analyzing the name attribute)

3)
Because of naming conventions the request is further delegated to another
"proper" servicemix-bean which is reponsible for handling of the concrete
service call. This means service with name attribute "xyz" is delegated to a
service "xyzProcessor"

4)
The concrete servicemix-bean with service name "xyzProcessor" handles the
request.

This works fine until now (I'm only in development phase).

PROBLEM:
Now I've the requirement that a concrete service have to communicate with a
non SMX service which is NOT always available (a mainframe which is only
available at daytime).
So when the mainframe is available the request should be handled
immediately. When the mainframe is not available the request should  be
(reliable) queued and handled when the mainframe is available.

THOUGHTS:
My first (maybe naive) thoughts was to deal with JMS:
 - When the service is not available I send the request to a JMS queue.
 - Then I use quartz to check in an specific intervall the following:
   - check if data are in the JMS queue
   - check if mainframe is available
   - when both is the case work with available

Could anybody of you comment my thoughts?
Maybe obviously problems I've to handle?
Is this achievable in an easy way with SMX4?

TIA
Martin