Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Nemani, Raj" <Ra...@turner.com> on 2015/01/21 21:14:50 UTC

permanently reducing logging levels for Solr

All,

How can I reduce the logging levels to SEVERE that survives a Tomcat restart or a machine reboot in Solr.  As you may know, I can change the logging levels from the logging page in admin console but those changes are not persistent across Tomcat server restart or machine reboot.
Following is the information about the Solr version from Info page in admin console.

Solr Specification Version: 3.2.0
Solr Implementation Version: 3.2.0 1129474 - rmuir - 2011-05-30 23:07:15
Lucene Specification Version: 3.2.0
Lucene Implementation Version: 3.2.0 1129474 - 2011-05-30 23:08:57

Please let me know if there is any other information that you may need.

Thank you in advance for your help

Raj

Re: permanently reducing logging levels for Solr

Posted by Rajesh Hazari <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Just add log4j.logger.org.apache.solr=SEVERE to you log4j properties.

*Thanks,*
*Rajesh,*
*(mobile) : 8328789519.*

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/21/2015 7:24 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> I have no way to know what container or logging framework you're using.

Followup on this:

Unless you have modified the solr war for version 3.2.0 to change the
logging jars, you will definitely be using java.util.logging.  Here's
some URLs that may offer insight on the config file you'll need:

http://www.javapractices.com/topic/TopicAction.do?Id=143

http://tutorials.jenkov.com/java-logging/configuration.html

http://www.java2s.com/Code/Java/Language-Basics/ConfiguringLoggerDefaultValueswithaPropertiesFile.htm

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: permanently reducing logging levels for Solr

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/21/2015 1:14 PM, Nemani, Raj wrote:
> How can I reduce the logging levels to SEVERE that survives a Tomcat restart or a machine reboot in Solr.  As you may know, I can change the logging levels from the logging page in admin console but those changes are not persistent across Tomcat server restart or machine reboot.
> Following is the information about the Solr version from Info page in admin console.
>
> Solr Specification Version: 3.2.0
> Solr Implementation Version: 3.2.0 1129474 - rmuir - 2011-05-30 23:07:15
> Lucene Specification Version: 3.2.0
> Lucene Implementation Version: 3.2.0 1129474 - 2011-05-30 23:08:57
>
> Please let me know if there is any other information that you may need.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help

The Solr 3.x example uses java.util.logging, not the log4j that was
introduced in the example for 4.3.0.  Your other reply talks about
log4j, which may not be the right framework for your install.

I have no way to know what container or logging framework you're using.
You will need to create a configuration file for whatever slf4j binding
is in use on your install and most likely add a system property to your
java commandline for startup so that your logging config gets used.  If
you're using java.util.logging, look for help with the
java.util.logging.config.file system property.

FYI -- if you reduce the logging level to WARN, a normally functioning
Solr will log almost nothing, and you'll be able to see ERROR and WARN
messages, which is extremely important for troubleshooting.  Dropping
the level to SEVERE is not necessary, and will make it impossible to
tell what happened when something goes wrong.

Thanks,
Shawn