Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/19 06:49:21 UTC

Snap Packaging of NetBeans

Dear all, Geertjan,

I'm about to have NetBeans available as a Linux Distro agnostic Snap
package.

I've tried to collect some information what and how it needs to be done.
See: NETBEANS-341
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/NETBEANS/issues/NETBEANS-341>

I've got some info back
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-341?focusedCommentId=16367610&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16367610>
from the Snap team what shall/could we do in order to make it happen.

I thought to bring up this stuff here as well for further discussion, on
how, when would we move forward with this if we are interested at all.

Thank you in advance!

Laszlo Kishalmi

Re: Snap Packaging of NetBeans

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well then,

There are two major kind of snaps: Classic and Sandboxed

Classic containers has full access to the OS stuff as of filesystems,
networking, devices

Sandboxed apps sees their own world.

As the IDE has many plugins and many external tools Sandboxed mode is
not suitable. That's why I build classic snaps (you need to specify
--classic on install)

Regarding classic snaps it can be considered as a read only tar.gz
extract somewhere on the filesystem. What makes it appealing is the wide
and hassle free distribution that snap offers, having different channels
like experimental, beta, stable, etc. and the auto update feature.

So no JDK is distributed with this package, no external libraries, it is
basically the result of the Ant based build with some Snapcraft
generated wrappers and a desktop file.

If someone would like to try to build it it is really easy. If you are
on Ubuntu 16.04+

You just need snapcraft, and the my snap branch (until the PR gets merged)

snap install snapcraft --classic
git clone git@github.com:lkishalmi/incubator-netbeans.git
cd incubator-netbeans
git checkout snap
cd nbbuild/packaging
snapcraft

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Neil,

Am Sonntag, den 22.04.2018, 12:10 +0000 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018, 09:35 Matthias Bläsing, <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> wrote:
> This sounds like something I would be interested in - is there
> > indication, that Oracle wants to switch away from GPLv2-CP to
> > something
> > easier distributable?
> >

> No, but that's kind of opposite to what I was thinking. And GPLv2-CPE is
> generally easy to distribute, except by us!
>
> I meant that we're allowed a JDK dependency because it's considered a
> platform dependency in Apache. But with a general move away from a system
> installed JDK and towards self-contained app bundles like this, we may find
> it harder to ship convenience binaries in future in ways that align with
> what people expect on each OS.

I see two options: Either we find a supplier, that ships Java with a
compatible license (yeah I doubt that, that even exists), or the apache
foundation revises its policy regarding GPLv2-CPE for this class of
redistribution.

And there is a third option: Create a secondary project outside the
apache foundation, that takes vanilla netbeans source, builds the IDE
and bundles it with the JRE and distributes the resulting binary.

The JDK can't be bundled in any case, as to my knowledge GPLv2 is
incompatible with the ALv2.

Greetings
Matthias

Re: Snap Packaging of NetBeans

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Laszlo comment on this here:
>

> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/404#issuecomment-382096515

Yes, I'd seen that and your comment about bundled OpenJDK (which would
equally apply to Oracle JDK). Still wasn't sure, and have seen snaps
bundling.

> This sounds like something I would be interested in - is there
> indication, that Oracle wants to switch away from GPLv2-CP to something
> easier distributable?

No, but that's kind of opposite to what I was thinking. And GPLv2-CPE is
generally easy to distribute, except by us!

I meant that we're allowed a JDK dependency because it's considered a
platform dependency in Apache. But with a general move away from a system
installed JDK and towards self-contained app bundles like this, we may find
it harder to ship convenience binaries in future in ways that align with
what people expect on each OS.

Best wishes,

Neil

> --
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist
www.neilcsmith.net

Re: Snap Packaging of NetBeans

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Neil,

Am Sonntag, den 22.04.2018, 08:27 +0000 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018, 07:05 Laszlo Kishalmi, <la...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Once we can provide our official signed versions the '--dangerous'
> > flag
> > would not be required.
> >

> I've been reading this thread, but not looked at the actual snap yet.
> Does it bundle a JDK or rely on another snap? AFAIK we could never
> distribute a bundled JDK via Apache

Laszlo comment on this here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/404#issuecomment-382096515

I had a quick look at the contents of the snap and indeed it is mostly
the copy of the netbeans directory.

>  - a situation I hope might change for platform
> dependencies in future given the evolving nature of Java deployment!

This sounds like something I would be interested in - is there
indication, that Oracle wants to switch away from GPLv2-CP to something
easier distributable?

Greetings,
Matthias

Re: Snap Packaging of NetBeans

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Once we can provide our official signed versions the '--dangerous' flag
> would not be required.

I've been reading this thread, but not looked at the actual snap yet. Does
it bundle a JDK or rely on another snap? AFAIK we could never distribute a
bundled JDK via Apache - a situation I hope might change for platform
dependencies in future given the evolving nature of Java deployment!

Best wishes,

Neil

> --
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist
www.neilcsmith.net

Re: Snap Packaging of NetBeans

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes. It is my own build just being distributed as a file on an S3 bucket.

Once we can provide our official signed versions the '--dangerous' flag
would not be required.

Snap help on dangerous:

--dangerous        Install the given snap file even if there are no
pre-acknowledged signatures for it, meaning it was not verified and
could be dangerous (--devmode implies this)

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by constantin drabo <dr...@hotmail.com>.
Hello Laszlo,
I think it will good . It will be an opportunity to bring back NetBeans to Fedora Community after several years of  mistrust .

Constantin

?? La Terre est le berceau de l'humanit??, mais on ne passe pas sa vie enti??re dans un berceau. ??
- Constantin????E. Tsiolkovski , p??re de l'astronautique?? et de l'a??rospatiale modernes.
________________________________

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
See my reply in-line

On 02/18/2018 11:19 PM, Emilian Bold wrote:
> Any kind of native OS integration helps.
>
> I wouldn't want to depend on another service (like snapcraft.io).
>
> We have our own Jenkins instance on Apache. Can't we build the snaps
> ourselves?
Certainly we can. As of Daniel: If they wish to use their own CI system
then the steps are a bit different. In this case they need to login with
a launchpad account at dashboard.snapcraft.io and register the netbeans
name there. Again they will be prompted to file a claim on the name
because it’s reserved, which can be answered the same way as above. Once
they’ve registered the snap they will need to configure their CI system
to build a .snap file and upload to the store on their own schedules.
This method allows much more control, but comes at the expense of
requiring more configuration. I don’t know the relevant details to
configure a CI system to allow uploading to the store, but I believe you
need to save an authorization token and use snapcraft CLI to upload.

I think the only requirements would be a recent Ubuntu LTS and snapcraft
installed to build the snap.

> We also have GitHub builds via Travis with dedicated Apache machines.
> Is it also impossible to build these snaps with Travis?
Could work as well, though the configuration of Travis might be tricky
due to the authtoken and thr sna

> At first, just having the scripts in place for these builds would be
> great (your PR kinda does this already).
>
> Then we have to see if this is a convenience binary we want to provide
> in the future. If we commit on it, we have to maintain it. If it's
> just an experiment we could have an alpha binary or something available.
>
> It would be nice to comment what you are doing there. As somebody that
> never used snap, it's unclear to me what these lines do:
Well these lines replace the default cache and userdir in netbeans
launcher script in order to use Snap managed directories, so if you
remove netbeans as snap these dirs would be removed as well, so we won't
leave garbage behind. (Though I'm not entirely sure that this would be
the recommended behavior.) Anyway I'm going to add the comments to the PR.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
See my reply in-line

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

PR #404 is still open. Could somebody review that?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.