Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/17 16:23:54 UTC

OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )

Incubator Folks,

We (PMC@WS) had a VOTE for accepting OpenSAML as part of Web Services project. Here are the
results.

+1 from 12 members. Zero -1 or -0 or +0 votes.

What should we do next. Please advise.

Thanks,
dims

=====

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> I think there was something (maybe on slashdot) recently about
> "letters of intent". The conclusion seemed to be that they are pretty
> much meaningless and unenforceable.

I think one also can keep this company's dubious history in mind.

-Andy

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> What scares the crap out of me is the weasel words.  "intent to offer
> royalty free...".
>
> As a rule, lawyers are very careful in what they say and do
> not say.  I can only presume that the word "intent" was carefully chosen.

We've assumed the word is there simply because they have not set the license in stone, but youneverknow.

It will surprise a great many companies if they decide not to offer it free. Rob P. has indicated the license terms are taking so
much time because it's free, and so the lawyers have better things to work on for the company.

But let's be frank. You either fight the patents, or you live with the terms you get, which can change at any time, or you negotiate
directly for better ones.

-- Scott

Re: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>Andrew,
>
>Since Web Services = Legal Mine field...Getting the license for Apache will ensure that Apache as
>a Legal Entity will be protected and that the coding can go on for now. There are 2 JSR's in the
>jcp and WS-Security spec in OASIS that will need this as well.
>
>Am not sure there anything else we can do in this situation. Am afraid this problem is going to
>crop up up more and more in the future.

I see a false dilemma here.

Sure there is.  There is always something to do or not do.  In the case
of LGPL which the board also believes to impose terms on those using the
software which prevent free implementation, the board has decided not
simply ban the use of said software.  Personally, I expect the board to
hold to that standard even moreso here.  If I understand these terms
correctly, this in effect would be an apache sponsored proprietary
software venture.  In effect Apache would be writing software for RSA.

As for Sun's JCP... Its their spec, why don't they implement it.

-Andy

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>>That is a problem as well, however my problem is that it requires
>>endusers to acquire an additional license.
>>

>Ok. As long as it's clear that it's not a royalty-based license, that's all I'm attempting to clarify.

they don't "intend" to make it royalty-based.  Thats really weak.

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> Humm..  I'll read it again but thats not what I got out of it.  It
> seemed to say that licenses will be available for the
> endusers and that we must inform them.

Yes. And that license is supposed to be royalty free. Thus, I have no idea how that leads to Apache being a development subsidiary
of RSA. RSA gets one thing out of it, aside from a lot of wasted paperwork...more people using SAML. So, the issue for me is solely
what they decide to do in the future.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Scott Cantor wrote:
>>No it says that your enduser of the Apache SAML library may
>>have to pay RSA for a license (or rather it doesn't say that they won't).
>

> Uh, no it doesn't. It says quite explicitly (in the loose language of intent) that they do *not* plan to charge. Or if that's not
> clear, please at least take my word that that is what RSA has made clear to me and other SSTC members. No money. Just reciprocity
> *on SAML IPR*.

Humm..  I'll read it again but thats not what I got out of it.  It
seemed to say that licenses will be available for the endusers and that
we must inform them.

> What it doesn't say is that they plan to promise never to change their mind about it. I think that's unfortunate.

yes.

>>Okay.  I'm just noting that these terms look objectionable.
>

> Do they still look so? Again, is the issue *these terms* or the fact that they could change? I think the latter is the problem.

That is a problem as well, however my problem is that it requires
endusers to acquire an additional license.

>>I don't see a motivation for Apache to accept projects which
>>might/would require the enduser to pay a company royalties.  This seems
>>contrary to the terms and spirit.
>

> Just curious...is there anything other than industry pressure (and total user backlash) that would stop Sun from doing so with Java?

This is besides the point.  Java is not an Apache project.  This is more
of a problem for the GCJ folks to consider.

-Andy

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> No it says that your enduser of the Apache SAML library may
> have to pay RSA for a license (or rather it doesn't say that they won't).

Uh, no it doesn't. It says quite explicitly (in the loose language of intent) that they do *not* plan to charge. Or if that's not
clear, please at least take my word that that is what RSA has made clear to me and other SSTC members. No money. Just reciprocity
*on SAML IPR*.

What it doesn't say is that they plan to promise never to change their mind about it. I think that's unfortunate.

> >Do these terms make Sun a subsidiary of RSA? They have a
> SAML product out now.
> >
> And they can pay RSA for licenses for users of it...

And they are not doing so.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Scott Cantor wrote:

>>On my part this is -1 on these types of terms in general.
>>These terms basically make Apache a free development
>>subsidiary of RSA which is just not good.
>>

>I'm not sure I follow this line of reasoning. The license language that they are supposedly writing does not connote any such thing.
>It says if you want their SAML patent rights for free, you give them your SAML patent rights. It doesn't promise code (which is
>hardly an issue for Apache which already lets them use the code), and it doesn't offer other IPR.

No it says that your enduser of the Apache SAML library may have to pay
RSA for a license (or rather it doesn't say that they won't).

>Do these terms make Sun a subsidiary of RSA? They have a SAML product out now.

And they can pay RSA for licenses for users of it...

>The danger is in the lockdown that occurs if they changed the license such that the terms were no longer acceptable, not in the
>initial terms.
>
>The terms aren't done, but this is a moot discussion until they are...I would not advise the PMC to even take a final vote until the
>terms are public.

Okay.  I'm just noting that these terms look objectionable.

>>This is not specific to
>>OpenSAML.  I look forward to a web services security standard which is
>>not tied to proprietary licensing.
>>

>Then I fear Apache or someone else would need to create one, unfortunately. Neither OASIS nor the W3C appear to be headed in such a
>direction, and as others noted, it's impossible to know for certain that you will be free and clear anywhere unless you're prepared
>to fight patents in court.

The W3C is aiming very eagerly into irrelevance anyhow.

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Is it possible to change the standard as not to infringe on these
> patents?

It is unlikely that that there are any authentication framework designs
that don't touch on a number of strong patents.  RSA is only one
obvious example.  This is a bloody business - there is zero benefit for
an IP right holder to reveal his hand prior to wide adoption.  Better
to let all the little fishes swallow the hook before you drag them in.

Why do we know about the RSA one?  Because they participated in a
standards body where the rules required them to fess-up or relinquish.
  There are yet more examples of this kind of thing in the footnotes of
the Liberty Phase I spec, which has a different set of players involved
in writing the standard.

It is impractical for the foundation to warranty that our code has zero
patent entanglements.

It should be something we aspire to.  Of course.

In the space between impractical and aspire is real work, damn it.

A policy that we strive to avoid inappropriate patent entanglements
would be good.  Even if it is stating the obvious.

A standard procedure for clearly passing patent claims thru, without
comment, from IPR claimants and our users might be helpful.

But that's only nibbles away at the edges of the messy between aspire
and practical.

This is the horrible messy world the licensing subcommittee of the
board has spent the last few years working very hard on.  I see signs
that is coming to closure.  It is their job, but I've regularly heard
them and the board say that no policy will be compiled into the
foundation's DNA until the members get to do a review of what they come
up with.

Is the RSA patent an example of an inappropriate patent entanglement?
My sense is that in-spite of RSA's history that their goals in this
situation are very close to ours and that with enough hard work this
particular problem can be resolved.  It is certainly not clear who is
going to do that hard work.

Should OpenSAML wait for the "is this inappropriate?" question to get
resolved.  Damn'd if I know.  I think the incubator PMC should decide
that, or seek advise.

  - ben

Re: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On my part this is -1 on these types of terms in general.  These terms
basically make Apache a free development
subsidiary of RSA which is just not good.  This is not specific to

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Andrew, Sam,

=====

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
+1 - very well said.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Sam,

Ok. What should we do about OpenSAML? Since we are facing a problem here.

Thanks,
dims

=====

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Andrew,

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Isn't that a no no?

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Andrew,

=====

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> Clarify this for me.  I might contribute to this OpenSAML, which I'm
> free to do as a member of Apache who would hence have license.  However
> if I take this back to my company (outside of Apache) I must then seek
> another license which by intent (though not by agreement) would again be
> Royalty free?

That's my interpretation of it. I as the original author can't even use my own code unless I can get OSU to sign the RSA license. I
rather expect that will be difficult, because my university doesn't like promising to cross-license like that.

OTOH, I could sign it myself and use it for personal purposes.

-- Scott

Re: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola, Folks,

Here's the latest from RSA -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200302/msg00036.html

Thanks,
dims

=====

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola, Folks,

=====

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Davanum Srinivas wrote, On 17/02/2003 16.23:
> Incubator Folks,
>
> We (PMC@WS) had a VOTE for accepting OpenSAML as part of Web Services project. Here are the
> results.
>
> +1 from 12 members. Zero -1 or -0 or +0 votes.

Excellent.

> What should we do next. Please advise.

The only thing that I'd want to nail down is the license issue.

Below is what seems the last mail on this subject on this list.
Reading that, I tend to think that the incubator, at this point, is
capable of taking a formal position on this matter, and we should
probably ask the board.

What do other incubator PMCers think of it?

 > > "A" license? What does this mean, that Apache has a license but all
 > > users of it need to ask for one too?  %-|
 >
 > i think you'd need to ask an IPR lawyer this.

The RSA position up to this point is that vendors of toolkits not only
need to get a license, but also notify their customers that
they must acquire one. So Apache gets one to distribute this code, and
then provides the notice to users.

The *rumor* is that they may be changing their mind about this special
toolkit case, but that's not anything more than rumor.

The fundamental issue is that there is *no* license to get yet. It
doesn't exist, the process doesn't exist, etc. We've been
distributing code, Sun has shipping products, RSA and Phaos and others
have toolkits, etc.

So there just isn't much ground to stand on yet.

 > maybe someone at the ASF needs to approach RSA officially and
 > find out what their position is.

Many others are already doing this within the SSTC, and we will
communicate that we're getting even more anxious on the call next
week.

-- Scott

             - verba volant, scripta manent -