Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net> on 2006/03/12 20:50:55 UTC

http-async: next steps

Hello all,

while working on the notification interface for the http-async component,
I could no longer ignore the fact that the complexity is quickly running
out of control. I therefore want to proceed as follows:

1. Add the notification interface (bug 38943).
   This will allow interested people to play with http-async.

2. Add logging capability.
   This will allow us to help people playing with http-async.

3. Declare a code freeze (feature freeze) on http-async.

4. Write an extensive description of threading and notification in http-async.
   It is absolutely necessary that this information is available someplace
   else than just in my brain and, partially, in the source code. I guess the
   Wiki is a good place for such design documentation.
   This will allow others (and myself) to review the design and spot holes.

5. Implement test cases based on 4 and debug the code that we have.
   (Includes extending the JavaDocs based on 4.)

6. Lift the code freeze on http-async.

Steps 4 and 5 are likely to keep me busy for several months.

Please let me know what you think.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: http-async: next steps

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 20:50 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> while working on the notification interface for the http-async component,
> I could no longer ignore the fact that the complexity is quickly running
> out of control. I therefore want to proceed as follows:
>
> 1. Add the notification interface (bug 38943).
>    This will allow interested people to play with http-async.
>
> 2. Add logging capability.
>    This will allow us to help people playing with http-async.
>
> 3. Declare a code freeze (feature freeze) on http-async.
>
> 4. Write an extensive description of threading and notification in http-async.
>    It is absolutely necessary that this information is available someplace
>    else than just in my brain and, partially, in the source code. I guess the
>    Wiki is a good place for such design documentation.
>    This will allow others (and myself) to review the design and spot holes.
>
> 5. Implement test cases based on 4 and debug the code that we have.
>    (Includes extending the JavaDocs based on 4.)
>
> 6. Lift the code freeze on http-async.
>

> Steps 4 and 5 are likely to keep me busy for several months.
>
> Please let me know what you think.

The plan works for me. I'll review the patch in the coming days

Oleg

Re: http-async: next steps

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.
Does sound reasonable.  I have also not looked at bug 38943.

Mike

Re: http-async: next steps

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Odi,

>> 5. Implement test cases based on 4 and debug the code that we have.
>>    (Includes extending the JavaDocs based on 4.)
>

> Some profiling would be good, too, to spot obvious performance loss.

Good point, though I'm not sure whether I'm going to invest the time
in performance optimization as long as the functionality is lacking.
Splitting the background thread in two to enable pipelining will be a
small step. Implementing dispatchers that use more than one connection
will be a major change.
Anyway, profiling can be done on http-core as well as http-async.
And with a quicker return on investment, I guess :-)

> BTW: Check out Eclipse TPTP. It has a fantastic profiler that can even
> be used remotely.

I loathe all kind of integrated development environments, mostly
because none of them uses Emacs as their editor. But I'll include
Eclipse TPTP in the list of profilers to consider when the time
comes. Thanks for the tip.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: http-async: next steps