Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2016/08/01 15:54:48 UTC

Re: C# build artifacts causing maven test errors

Hi,

On 2016-07-26 18:03, Douglas Service wrote:
> The following files get generated during a C# build from powershell
>
> lang/cs/Org.Apache.REEF.All/app.config
> [...]
> Too many files with unapproved license: 18 See RAT report in:
> C:\code\reef\lang\cs\target\rat.txt
>
> is this a know issue?

Not in this instance (as Mariia mentioned). However, maybe some
background on the nature of that error helps. We strive to keep the code
base in an always-releasable state. Beyond the technical aspects of
having compiling code that passes tests, this means that we aim to
comply with all the licensing hygiene people come to expect from an
Apache release. To do so, we rely on the Release Audit Tool (RAT)[0]. We
run it as part of our maven builds. It checks all files for license
headers, amongst other things.

RAT is configured in `pom.xml` where one can define exceptions for the
list of files to be checked. For instance, we exclude build results as
well as documentation files. If the above error is reproducible by
others, it might make sense to add `app.config` to the exceptions.

Markus

[0]: http://creadur.apache.org/rat/

Re: C# build artifacts causing maven test errors

Posted by Douglas Service <ds...@gmail.com>.
We do not need to add app.config to the list of exceptions as I normally do
not see this issue. This was a one time event which I triggered learning
how to do builds. If I see it again, I will note what causes it.

Doug

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Douglas Service <ds...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the explanation.