Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org> on 2017/10/03 18:15:12 UTC

Heeeeyyy - someone posted us to Hacker News :)

I noticed a spike in traffic to guacamole.incubator.apache.org this morning
(an order of magnitude higher than the normal amount of traffic at this
time of day). Checking the referrals revealed:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15389727

- Mike

Re: Heeeeyyy - someone posted us to Hacker News :)

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
Nice.  Gotta love publicity!

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I noticed a spike in traffic to guacamole.incubator.apache.org this
> > > morning
> > > (an order of magnitude higher than the normal amount of traffic at this
> > > time of day). Checking the referrals revealed:
> > >

> > Also, I think you may have undersold "spike in traffic" a little bit.
> > Depending on how you look at the stats and where you're comparing it to,
> > it's anywhere from a few hundred percent increase to 25,000%.
> >

> Ah, yes, perhaps. ;)
>
> I was looking the real-time "active users" stats, largely because I have a
> glowing color-changing lamp in my office for which I've written a service
> which polls this statistic, automatically changing the hue and brightness
> with respect to the current value.
>
> It's currently bright magenta. Normally, it's a sort of dim salmon /
> mediumly-bright orange.
>
> - Mike

So, I'll use this as an opportunity to bring back up the discussion about
the use of Twitter/Facebook/etc. accounts for Guacamole.  You kicked off a
discussion thread about those a while back - I still vote for resurrecting
those accounts and trying to make better use of them to gain some better
publicity for the project, maybe get some more people involved in
contributing??  Any further discussion on that front??

-Nick

Re: Heeeeyyy - someone posted us to Hacker News :)

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
Thanks!

Also, don't worry - "butting in" isn't really a possibility here. Community
participation on the mailing lists is exactly what we want. At worst, if
you had posted something like "Cool! I have a related problem. Guacamole is
not working.", you'd be asked to open a new thread.

Posted by Kaushik Srinivasan <ka...@umail.iu.edu>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.