Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Guang Yang <yg...@outlook.com> on 2016/10/04 19:40:56 UTC

Build failure due to license validation

Hello,
While working on the Jetty 9 upgrade patch, after polling in several new artifacts, the build failed due to the license validation, for example:
1. It pulled in the javax.annotation whose license is 'CDDL + GPLv2 with classpath exception' which failed our whitelist check since once 'CDDL' is found, it tries to find '1.1' or '1.0' but failed to find those sub strings.

2. Another one failed the validation is javax.validation, whose license is 'Apache Software License, Version 2.0', whereas in our whitelist, it is 'Apache License, Version 2.0' (note there is no 'Software').

I would like to ask what is the recommendation to deal with this type of mismatch?

Thanks,
Guang

Re: Build failure due to license validation

Posted by Guang Yang <yg...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Sean and Ted, I now understand the policy to deal with the license validations, will follow that. Thanks,Guang

    On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:15 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

 1) CDDL + GPLv2 allows you to pick a license. as an ASF project we
pick CDDL. You should update the supplemental info to properly
document the use of CDDL (including the version).

2) You should update the supplemental info file to refer to the correct name.

You  should also make sure there are no additional changes needed to
LICENSE or NOTICE files for the change in dependencies beyond what the
automatic tooling does.

--
busbey

Re: Build failure due to license validation

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
busbey

Re: Build failure due to license validation

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
For #1, only javax.annotation.Generated is imported.

We can create a similar class in hbase-common which replaces the above
import.