Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rohit Peyyeti <ro...@translogicsys.com> on 2003/04/22 06:39:05 UTC

Tomcat Contexts

Hello:

Is there any way where we could run single tomcat instance with
Apache in the front and with each apache VH having its own blank
context? Is this possible?

The current setup which I have now runs multiple tomcat instances
with its own root context for each VH within apache. I was looking
for more efficient means of doing this.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Rohit

PS:

Here are some possibilities which I listed for setting up contexts
with apache/tomcat:

- Apache with apps blank tomcat contexts.
   Start one tomcat instance for one app with one unique port
   number. Can define blank context.

- Apache with different app contexts
  - Start one tomcat instance which will handle all apps requests.
    Only one port will handle all communication for all apps. Cannot
    define blank context.

- Tomcat with virtual hosts.
  - Start one tomcat instance which will handle all hosts requests.
    Only one port will handle all communication for all hosts. Can
    define blank context.

- Tomcat with different app contexts
  - Start one tomcat instance which will handle all apps requests.
    Only one port will handle all communication for all apps. Cannot
    define blank context. This setup is close to "Apache with different
    app contexts"

This setup according to me is not possible:

- Apache with apps blank context with single tomcat instance serving
  different apps. To be able to communicate with apache there should be
  a way to communicate using different ports (AJP12/AJP13) or by using
  different contexts.