Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sebastian <ss...@apache.org> on 2019/01/12 18:01:40 UTC

Discussion board vs. user mailing list in incubating project

Hi,

I recently received a question from a project that is considering to
apply to the incubator and I did not know the answer, so I would like to
ask for your input on that.

The project has a very active web-based discussion board, similar to
projects like Apache MXNet on https://discuss.mxnet.io/ or Rust on
https://users.rust-lang.org/. However, Apache projects traditionally
prefer a user mailing list to web-based discussion boards in my experience.

The question is now whether the project would have to migrate the
discussion board to the user mailing list during incubation or whether
they could keep it. Do we have an official stance on that?

Best,
Sebastian

PS: As a side note, I'd like to mention that the project will have a
dev@ and private@ mailinglist as usual, this question is only about the
interactions with users.

Posted by Sebastian <ss...@apache.org>.
Thank you!

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 15:22, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought the rule was that decisions have to be made on ASF mailing lists.
> It's fine to have discussions elsewhere, but the results must be
> brought back to a mailing list for the actual decision.
> Or has that rule been changed? If so, is it documented anywhere?

I think that's a better explanation of what I was trying to get at.
I'm just remembering something about how when Slack opened up,
channels were using an archive bot for a while.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Great. It will be up to the Community and the Mentors to determine if any migrations make sense in order to protect the project’s valuable user discussions.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Sebastian <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.