Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com> on 2013/07/12 07:13:12 UTC

Request for Mentor for LUCENE-2562 : Make Luke a Lucene/Solr Module

Hi all,

I had attended the ASF-ICFOSS Mentoring Programme [1], 2013 in India
conducted by Luciano Resende[2] and I've developed an interest in open
source. I'd like to work on the JIRA Lucene 2562 -  Make Luke a Lucene/Solr
Module [3] as a project.

I've checked out the Lucene trunk and taken a look at the work Mark Miller
has done on it. If no one has taken it up, I'm willing to work on it after
submitting a formal project proposal after I get a mentor. I'd like some
technical guidance on Lucene from the community as well.

[1] http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html

[2] http://people.apache.org/~lresende

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2562

Thanks and regards,
Ajay

Re: Request for Mentor for LUCENE-2562 : Make Luke a Lucene/Solr Module

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 13, 2013, at 2:04 AM, Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark.
>
> I've got to make a project proposal at this page. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/ASF-ICFOSS+Pilot+Mentoring+Programme
>
> Shall I include you as a mentor? Would anyone else like to be a mentor to this project alongwith Mark?
>
> I've also got some preliminary questions about the issue
>
> 1. You mention that the UI, currently using Java (Swing I presume?) needs to be ported to another toolkit. May I ask why?

The license of the current UI framework.

I think a Java UI framework is the way to go - I've already done a lot of the work on that issue using Apache Pivot. http://pivot.apache.org/

> 3. Has the work on Pivot been completed? If not, what else is to be done?

A lot of work has been completed. A lot of the basic UI tabs were already working - mostly it probably needs to be updated to the latest Lucene API's and the remaining features need to be ported over. A lot of work has already been done and a lot of the work remains - if you look at the attachments on that JIRA you will see some early screen shots of the current work - more was done after those shots were taken.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12450420/luke1.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12450421/luke2.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12450422/luke3.jpg

> 4. Can I run Luke by itself or should it be built alongwith Lucene as it refers some classes of Lucene?

The idea of that JIRA issue is to put Luke in as a Lucene module. This way, as the Lucene API's are changed, Luke will get updated at the same time since it will be part of the Lucene project.

> Also, it would be great if you could link me to some slides or posts about Luke (the first two links on the issue page don't seem to work)

https://code.google.com/p/luke/

- Mark

Posted by Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com>.
Two more questions :

1. How much of the original Luke.java has yet to be modularised?

2. What are the new APIs in Lucene 4.1 and 4.2 that need immediate
attention to be updated?

Posted by Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com>.
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree with this completely. Solr is last priority

I guess that would be up to those doing the work.  Solr is a higher
priority for some people.

-Yonik
http://lucidworks.com

Re: Request for Mentor for LUCENE-2562 : Make Luke a Lucene/Solr Module

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it's in the public repo - see my recent comment on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2562 - it's really simple to
check it out and run it.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:07 AM, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Mark - Do you have it in public repo?
>

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> My feeling is that what we need most is what I've been working on
>> (surprise, surprise :) )
>>
>> We need a simple Java app, very similar to the std Luke app. We need it
>> to be Apache licensed all the way through. We need it to be fully
>> integrated as a module. We need it to be straightforward enough that any of
>> the Lucene/Solr committers can easily work on it and update it as API's
>> change. GWT is probably a stretch for that goal - Apache Pivot is pretty
>> straight forward though - for any reasonable Java developer. I picked it up
>> in absolutely no time to build the thing from scratch - modifying it is 10
>> times easier. The backend code is all java, the layout and widgets all XML.
>>
>> I've been pushing towards that goal (over the years now) with Luke ALE
>> (Apache Lucene Edition).
>>
>> It's not a straight port of Luke with thinlet to Luke with Apache Pivot -
>> Luke has 90% of it's code in one huge class - I've already been working on
>> modularizing that code as I've moved it over - not too heavily because that
>> would have made it difficult to keep porting code, but a good start. Now
>> that the majority of features have been moved over, it's probably easier to
>> keep refactoring - which is needed, because another very important missing
>> piece is unit tests - and good units tests will require even more
>> refactoring of the code.
>>
>> I also think a GWT version - something that could probably run nicely
>> with Solr - would be awesome. But way down the line in priority for me. We
>> need something very close to Lucene that the committers will push up the
>> hill as they push Lucene.
>>
>> - Mark
>>
>> On Jul 15, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I disagree with this completely. Solr is last priority
>> On Jul 15, 2013 6:14 AM, "Jack Krupansky" <ja...@basetechnology.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>   My personal thoughts/preferences/suggestions for Luke:
>>>
>>> 1. Need a clean Luke Java library – heavily unit-tested. As integrated
>>> with Lucene as possible.
>>> 2. A simple command line interface – always useful.
>>> 3. A Solr plugin handler – based on #1. Good for apps as well as Admin
>>> UI. Nice to be able to curl a request to look at a specific doc, for
>>> example.
>>> 4. GUI fully integrated with the new Solr Web Admin UI. A separate UI...
>>> sucks.

- Mark

Re: Request for Mentor for LUCENE-2562 : Make Luke a Lucene/Solr Module

Posted by Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com>.
I've started writing up a proposal. As soon as I get a mentor, I'll post it
on this thread.

I've got one more question : There are plugins like HadoopPlugin.java [1]
and [2] in the source code [3] but I can't find them or any other plugins
in the version that uses Thinlet API [4]. How do I run these classes from
Eclipse IDE?

[1]
http://luke.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/org/getopt/luke/plugins/HadoopPlugin.java

[2]
http://luke.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/org/getopt/luke/plugins/ZipfAnalysisPlugin.java

[3] http://luke.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/org/getopt/luke/

[4] Attachment

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

>>> ___.,___,___,___,_._. __________________<><_________**___________

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: Request for Mentor for LUCENE-2562 : Make Luke a Lucene/Solr Module

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hello guys,

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com>.
Shawn and Andrzej,

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com>.
One more question : What version of Lucene does Luke currently support
right now? I saw a comment on the issue page that it doesn't support the
Lucene 4.1 and 4.2 trunk.

Ajay Bhat, TKMCE

Posted by Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
- Mark

Re: Request for Mentor for LUCENE-2562 : Make Luke a Lucene/Solr Module

Posted by Ajay Bhat <a....@gmail.com>.
Guys, I really do need a mentor urgently for this project so I can post my
proposal to the ASF ICFOSS page [1], since as part of the programme we have
to be allotted a mentor.

I understand if people are too busy with other commitments to
development. In that case, I wouldn't bug the mentor too much if
they're on their busy
schedule. I just need some general guidance and for the mentor to point out
if I'm going in the wrong direction for this project.

Thanks,
Ajay

[1]