Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Meg LeSchack <ml...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/09/30 15:29:04 UTC

Why registration required for me to open my Office doc?

Today 9-30-2015 I tried to open one of my Office docs and I received a screen requiring registration. What's up?
Also, is "new" Apache OO 4.1.1 the same as the 4.1.1 I tried to install several times last year and couldn't [or, being a nontech, was that edition just 4.1 without .1 ?] ?
   I have gone ahead and used the registration screen with Username, supplying initials -- which I never had to before -- feeling pretty uncomfortable and hoping this isn't a hack. C rikey -- Boehner resigns, blood moons,  the pope, Obama and Putin appear at the UN, China & US agree to limit industrial espionage, 4 days of rain after a summer of drought in New Eng., just bought my first new-used car in 12 yrs, saw two double rainbows in August, OO tells me I have to register -- what else is gonna happen??
 Baffled and somewhat miffed usesr,
Meg LeSchackMassachusetts USA

Re: Why registration required for me to open my Office doc?

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 09/30/2015 09:29 AM, Meg LeSchack wrote:
> Today 9-30-2015 I tried to open one of my Office docs and I received a screen requiring registration. What's up?
> Also, is "new" Apache OO 4.1.1 the same as the 4.1.1 I tried to install several times last year and couldn't [or, being a nontech, was that edition just 4.1 without .1 ?] ?
>    I have gone ahead and used the registration screen with Username, supplying initials -- which I never had to before -- feeling pretty uncomfortable and hoping this isn't a hack. C rikey -- Boehner resigns, blood moons,  the pope, Obama and Putin appear at the UN, China & US agree to limit industrial espionage, 4 days of rain after a summer of drought in New Eng., just bought my first new-used car in 12 yrs, saw two double rainbows in August, OO tells me I have to register -- what else is gonna happen??
>  Baffled and somewhat miffed usesr,
> Meg LeSchackMassachusetts USA

I suspect you may have downloaded OpenOffice from somewhere other than
www.openoffice.org.  There are many who take open source software, such
as OpenOffice, and load it with crapware etc..  You're right to feel
uncomfortable.  Someone may be trying to scam you etc..

Always download only from www.openoffice.org, which will take you to an
appropriate mirror.

Re: Why registration required for me to open my Office doc?

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Meg,

Meg LeSchack schrieb:
> Today 9-30-2015 I tried to open one of my Office docs and I received a screen requiring registration. What's up?
> Also, is "new" Apache OO 4.1.1 the same as the 4.1.1 I tried to install several times last year and couldn't [or, being a nontech, was that edition just 4.1 without .1 ?] ?
>     I have gone ahead and used the registration screen with Username, supplying initials -- which I never had to before -- feeling pretty uncomfortable and hoping this isn't a hack. C rikey -- Boehner resigns, blood moons,  the pope, Obama and Putin appear at the UN, China & US agree to limit industrial espionage, 4 days of rain after a summer of drought in New Eng., just bought my first new-used car in 12 yrs, saw two double rainbows in August, OO tells me I have to register -- what else is gonna happen??
>   Baffled and somewhat miffed usesr,
> Meg LeSchackMassachusetts USA

I guess, that you mean the "Welcome"-screen on the first start. That is
no "registration" but it ask you initial entries for the fields you also
get, when you go to menu "Tools", item "Options" in part "OpenOffice",
the item "User Data".

- These entries can be used to automatically fill such fields into
letter templates.
- They are enclosed in the document properties. There you can remove
them by click on button "Reset" and uncheck "Apply user data". You find
the document properties in menu "File".
- They are used to identify the author of a comment.
- They are used to remember, that you have edited a document, and so
OpenOffice can set the cursor to the place it was, when you have closed
the document. Because if this feature I would not leave the fields
empty. If you feel uncomfortable entering your name there, you can enter
some dummy text like "ABC".

You should look at the following settings too and enable/disable them as
you need: Goto menu "Tools" item "Options", then in part "OpenOffice"
the item "Security", then in first section "Security options and
warnings" click on button "Options".

Kind regards
Regina