Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2009/01/13 14:57:40 UTC

Upgrading FOP: ascii vs. binary PDFs

Hi all,

the upgrading page doesn't mention this, so:

FOP 0.20.5 produced ASCII PDFs. Was that changed in newer versions, so that
they produce binary PDF? If yes, is it possible to re-enable ASCII-mode?

Kind regards,

Ulrich

Re: Upgrading FOP: ascii vs. binary PDFs

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Looking at the default configuration file in 0.20.5 we did indeed have
> ascii-85 in the filter list. But since most people care more about file
> size than readability in a text editor, our current default without the
> ascii-85 filter is probably better.

Agreed and I wish that had been the default in FOP 0.20.5 as well :)

It would have prevented me from defining an XML-based protocol for
transporting FOP-generated PDFs through the stages of our workflow system.
Adding support for binary data in the protocol would break all the clients.

Anyway, the ascii-85 filter works perfectly for now.

Thanks a lot,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Well, our PDFs are never really ASCII. The bytes 10-13 in every PDF file
see to that. That is so even in FOP 0.20.5. FOP doesn't have any code
that decides whether the binary marker can be omitted.

Anyway, what you're looking for is probably the PDF filter list:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/configuration.html#pdf-renderer

The defaults don't include the ascii-85 filter which is necessary to
make the streams ASCII-compatible. If you want a list of all filter keys,
you can take a look at the constants at the beginning of this file:
https://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/tags/fop-0_95/src/java/org/apache/fop/pdf/PDFFilterList.java?view=markup

Looking at the default configuration file in 0.20.5 we did indeed have
ascii-85 in the filter list. But since most people care more about file
size than readability in a text editor, our current default without the
ascii-85 filter is probably better.

HTH

On 13.01.2009 14:57:40 Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the upgrading page doesn't mention this, so:
>
> FOP 0.20.5 produced ASCII PDFs. Was that changed in newer versions, so that
> they produce binary PDF? If yes, is it possible to re-enable ASCII-mode?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ulrich

Jeremias Maerki