Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Ran Tao <ch...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/21 09:51:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Proposal to improve Auxiliary Sql Statements

Hi guys. When I recently used flink sql to manage internal metadata
(catalog/databases/table/functions),
I found that many current flink sql statements do not support filtering or
some advanced syntax, however these abilities are very useful to end-users.

These are some statements I have collected so far, which are supported on
other big data engines, such as spark, hive or presto. I wonder if we can
support these abilities?

In addition, the subject of this email is named 'Auxiliary Statements'
mainly because the alignment of these statements will not have much impact
on the core SQL runtime.

Support or Not

With Advanced Syntax Or Not (in/from or like)

show create table

Yes

Yes

show tables

Yes

Yes

show columns

Yes

Yes

show catalogs

Yes

without filter

show databases

Yes

without filter

show functions

Yes

without filter

show views

Yes

without filter

show modules

Yes

without filter

show jars

Yes

without filter

show jobs

Yes

without filter

We can see current flink many sql statements only support showing with full
datas, without 'FROM/IN' or 'LIKE' filter clause.

Support or Not

describe database

No

describe table

Yes

describe function

No

describe query

No

current flink only supports describing tables.

Also, please let me know if there is a mistake. Looking forward to your
reply.

Best Regards,
Ran Tao
https://github.com/chucheng92

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal to improve Auxiliary Sql Statements

Posted by Ran Tao <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Timo, Thanks.

yes. We need to make Flink's implementation of this feature more scalable
and versatile.

I will try to update this FLIP on the comparison and difference of the
implementation of some features
on other popular or commercial engines you mentioned.

Let us see how to find a better way to solve this problem
to avoid subsequent frequent changes to the parser module and keywords.

Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org> 于2023年2月21日周二 22:58写道:

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Ran,

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Ran,

Posted by Ran Tao <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com.INVALID>.
+ 1 for a new FLIP

Posted by Ran Tao <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
Thank you,

Posted by Ran Tao <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ran,

I think it’s always nice to support new syntax if it’s useful for the users.
From my side, your syntax table is broken. Could you share it with a Google doc or create a JIRA issue?