Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mezei Zoltan <me...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/21 23:21:34 UTC

Subprojects organization

Hi,

I have a so-so big project that I have to import into Maven. The
projects consists of about 100 modules which are organized in a
tree-like structure:

BigProject
--Libraries
----Content
--Services
----Voting
------VotingWeb
------VotingBL
----Help
------HelpWeb

As you can see the hierarchy is fairly complex, it has a varying
number of levels. Besides that the dependencies between the projects
are really crazy, almost anything can depend on almost anything in the
hierarchy.

I've come up with two solutions on how to import these modules to maven:
- keep the original structure between parent and children projects and
create multi-level multi-module projects in maven
- create only one multi-module project and convert all the leaf
modules a subproject of this one parent.

I'd prefer the first solution because it preserves the hierarchy, but
when I tried that multi-level solution before I ran into problems with
javadoc/Xref/PMD/CPD and other report generations - I basically
couldn't achieve that the BigProject's reports properly include every
module's reports. With the second one this problem is bypassed - but I
lose the hierarchy.

What do you think? Which way should I prefer?
--
Zizi

"Life under mob rule is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short. Life
on a poorly run software project is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and
hardly ever short enough."