Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2014/07/03 14:29:26 UTC

Challenge #2: make a release

Hi,

Making a release that complies with the Apache rules and
recommendations [1] is required to graduate from the Incubator.

The actual technical quality of the release is not really relevant,
something labelled as alpha is perfectly fine while in the Incubator,
the goal is to demonstrate that the release process is well
understood.

So, if you want DeviceMap to graduate soon, please step up to make
such a release.

I'm happy to help in my role as an incubation mentor, but the actual
work to be done by a committer who takes the role of the release
manager.

-Bertrand

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html - see
the "Release Checklist" in particular

Re: Challenge #2: make a release

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Sounds good, I can do that.

Re: Challenge #2: make a release

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Reza <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> I can do this. I will try and have releases ready by Sunday...

Cool!

> I will take care of the data and the java client. Eberhard, can you get your MS clients ready by Sunday too...

Note that having just the data + java client should be ok w.r.t graduation.

> Here is what we need:
>
> 1) a client package

Not sure what you mean by that

> ...I will update the website with the release and include links to JIRA, etc...

Note that the release needs to be prepared so that we and later the
Incubator PMC can vote to accept it, before announcing it anywhere
else.

What you need to prepare is a tar or zip archive, with signatures,
that contains the relevant source code along with the required NOTICE,
DISCLAIMER and LICENSE files. I think the release checklist at
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list
has pointers to all the relevant info, and the Maven release plugins
should allow making this a repeatable process.

You can then put that archive somewhere where Incubator PMC members
can download it (http://people.apache.org/~rezan is a good choice) and
then we vote on it and if ok ask the Incubator PMC to vote on it.

-Bertrand

Re: Challenge #2: make a release

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I can do this. I will try and have releases ready by Sunday.

I will take care of the data and the java client. Eberhard, can you get your MS clients ready by Sunday too.

Here is what we need:

1) a client package
2) Release notes. Basically, a blurb about whats in the client, whats new, whats todo, etc
3) howto guide. How to get the client up and running and classifying devices, try and keep this small and simple

Once these are ready, I will update the website with the release and include links to JIRA, etc.