Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Jeon Jeongho <ma...@myscan.org> on 2002/06/05 09:45:22 UTC

about korean translation and how to join apache doc project

hi! i am about to translate apache docs to korean.
then i have read a few docs, and found korean index.html
page. But,

1)

surprisingly, i don't know a korean had pointed this problem,
it's wrong.

at first, korean index.html of apache 2.0.36 is named as
"index.html.kr.iso2022-kr", and this file states it's charset
is "ISO-2022-KR". but this file is written in the "EUC-KR"
(or "euc-kr") encoding. (i assume it is after japan case.
i am not sure that "iso-2022-jp" is the most popular encoding
in japan. but it is "EUC-KR" that the most popular encoding
in korea, especially on web.)

korean index.html of apache 1.3.24 is named as "index.html.kr.iso-kr",
and this file states it's charset is "eucKR". but there is no
encodings named "iso-kr" or "eucKR". use "EUC-KR" (or "euc-kr")
all instead.

at second, i found "AddLanguage kr .kr" in httpd.conf.
but korean code in iso639 is "ko". "kr" is (south) korea country code
defined in iso3166. therefore must use "AddLanguage ko .ko"
in httpd.conf, and use "index.html.ko.*" or "index.html.ko-KR.*"
instead of "index.html.kr.*".
(for example, IE5 uses "ko", and Mozilla/netscape6 uses
"ko"/"ko-KR"/"ko-KP"(north korea))

the content negotiation doc in apache 1.3.24 refers RFC1766, and
takes "kr for Korean" as example. but RFC1766 refers RFC639. then
use "ko for Korean" instead.

i'm a little surprised that this have not corrected for long time.

2)

how can i get doc commit access?

bye~ :-)

Re: about korean translation and how to join apache doc project

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Jeon Jeongho wrote:

> hi! i am about to translate apache docs to korean.
> then i have read a few docs, and found korean index.html
> page. But,

Welcome!

> 1)
>
> surprisingly, i don't know a korean had pointed this problem,
> it's wrong.

Could you submit the appropriate patches to httpd.conf for these issues
along with step-by-step instructions on what needs to be changed?

> 2)
>
> how can i get doc commit access?

Start by sending patches to the list.  It shouldn't take long to get
commit access on the docs project, but we do expect a few contributions
first.

There is one little issue: We don't allow anything to get into the apache
software or documentation without peer-review.  I don't think any of the
currect developers speak Korean, so we don't have anyone who can review
your contributions.  One option is for you to try to attract a second
fluent Korean speaker to participate in this list who can review your
patches before they get commited.

Again, welcome to the docs project.

Joshua.