Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/04 19:18:14 UTC

Instructables on solr

We just had a major release on http://www.instructables.com/

We have been running solr for months as a band-aid, this release
integrates solr deeply.  Solr takes care of the 'browse' functionality
and a nice interface for people to manage their library of uploaded
images/files.  This replaced an SQL faceting system that was maxing
out the DB.

The URL structure maps to a dismax query:
http://www.instructables.com/tag/type:instructable/
http://www.instructables.com/tag/keyword:bike/
http://www.instructables.com/tag/keyword:bike/?q=led
http://www.instructables.com/tag/keyword:electronics/rss.xml

The library interface is javascript talking directly to solr (through
a proxy) using wt=JSON.  You will need to login and upload a bunch of
stuff to see this in action...  The proxy links to a dismax handler so
we are only exposing the 'query' interface directly to logged in
users.

We are running SOLR-20 with a hibernate-solr auto link.  All changes
are pooled for 30 seconds on the client side then sent to solr that
has a 1 second auto-commit time.  As files/images are uploaded, they
are immediately sent to solr and the client blocks until indexed -
this makes sure users see the images after uploading them.

Thanks for solr.  It is great.

ryan

Re: Instructables on solr

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 4/4/07, Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...We have been running solr for months as a band-aid, this release
> integrates solr deeply...

Awesome - thanks for sharing this!

If you don't mind, it'd be cool to add some info to
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers

-Bertrand