Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rakesh Midha <mi...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/24 07:27:06 UTC

Security Issue with hot deployer

Hello

I was wondering if this is a security breach.

If I deploy some business critical application names myApp on Geronimo
server deployed using deploy tool or hot deployer. Now with deploy tool I
cannot change or uninstall this application without Geronimo username and
password.

If for some reason my machine is unsecured and I am dependent on Geronimo
security, one can easily manuplate or uninstall my application by just
placing a junk application named myApp in my hot deployer. isn't it a
security breach.

I think I should be allowed to
1. Configure security settings for Hot deployer
2. Start and stop hot deployment (which can be done by stopping hotdeploy
module)
3. One way could be, All the hot deployer operations prompt for username and
password on server console.

What is your view on this? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Rakesh

Re: Security Issue with hot deployer

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 26, 2006, at 9:36 PM, Rakesh Midha wrote:

> I accept your point that on a non-secure machine it doesn't help to
> have application or server level security bcoz one can anyway
> delete file system or do lot of bad things. In that case why do we
> have deploy tool asking for user/password even on local machine.
>
> My thinking is "We put locks on our home not for thiefs (anyways
> thiefs can break locks), we put lock to stop others to not use open
> home oportunity" What I mean to say is we dont need to make
> applications secure on non-secure machine for felons but for
> ourselves that we dont delete or change our applications by mistake.
>
> The point I was trying to make is,
> 1. We should consider thinking additing some additional security in
> hot-deployer (there are so many illigal things which can be done,
> but atleast our server should not facilitate them)

I still think that hot deploy should only be used in a development
environment and since the only reason to use it is convenience,
making it harder in any way is a bad idea.
> 2. Having an editable config file, doesn't make lot of sense from
> security point of view, can we consider encripting it?
The main purpose of the current config file format is to make it
reasonably easy to edit the configuration by hand.  What would
encrypting the config file gain that would not be better served by
appropriate OS file permissions?
> 3. Can we consider, making our repository only readable and not
> editable from outside.
What specifically do you have in mind?  I thought that stuff like
installing a plugin already  requires you to log into the config
console.  Since one of the main ideas behind geronimo is to make it
easy to assemble, extend, or contract a server, it seems to me that a
read-only repository would create problems.

I think it would be more useful to look into authenticating that
everything in the repo is what it claims to be.  I imagine that this
would use either jar signing for jars or signing a hash of the jar
file.  I don't think there is any standard way to authenticate car
files (or car directories in a geronimo repo).  I've heard that jar
signing tends to introduce additional problems but I don't have any
experience with that.

Another security improvement.... not exactly a security hole.... is
that currently some Subjects are specified completely in application
plans, for things like default subjects and run-as subjects.  It
would be much better if these subjects were produced by the same
login configuration that the rest of the app is using and the plan
had only the login info in it.  This leads onto Simon Godik's idea of
a password safe to hold the credentials needed for these default
logins.   I've often thought that the next step would be to require
credentials to start the server (and unlock the password safe), but I
haven't thought through this idea at all yet.

I might be missing the point behind your suggestions, if I have
please explain in more detail.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Rakesh Midha <mi...@gmail.com>.