Posted to user@flink.apache.org by ShB <sh...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/26 18:47:50 UTC

Distributed reading and parsing of protobuf files from S3 in Apache Flink

I'm working with Apache Flink on reading, parsing and processing data from
S3. I'm using the DataSet API, as my data is bounded and doesn't need
streaming semantics.

My data is on S3 in binary protobuf format in the form of a large number of
timestamped files. Each of these files have to be read, parsed(using
parseDelimiedFrom
<https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/reference/java/com/google/protobuf/Parser#parseDelimitedFrom-java.io.InputStream->
) into their custom protobuf java classes and then processed.

I’m currently using the aws-java-sdk to read these files as I couldn’t
figure out how to read binary protobufs via Flink semantics(env.readFile).
But I'm getting OOM errors as the number/size of files is too large.

So I'm looking to do distributed/parallel reading and parsing of the files
in Flink. How can these custom binary files be read from s3 using the Flink
Dataset API(like env.readFile)? How can these custom binary files be read
from s3 in a distributed manner?

Re: Distributed reading and parsing of protobuf files from S3 in Apache Flink

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

readFile() requests a FileInputFormat, i.e., your custom InputFormat would
need to extend FileInputFormat.
In general, any InputFormat decides about what to read when generating
InputSplits. In your case the, createInputSplits() method should return one
InputSplit for each file it wants to read.
By default, FileInputFormat creates one or more input splits for each file
in a directory. If you only want to read a subset of files (or have a list
of files to read), you should override the method and return exactly one
input split for each file to read (because your files cannot be read in
parallel).

If your InputFormat does not extend FileInputFormat, you can use
createInput() instead of readFile().

Best, Fabian

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

this is a valid approach.
It might suffer from unbalanced load if the reader tasks process the files
at different speed (or the files vary in size) because each task has to
process the same number of files.

An alternative would be to implement your own InputFormat.
The input format would create an InputSplit for each file to read.
At runtime, the JM fetches a list of all InputSplits and lazily distributes
them to running source tasks.
This automatically balances the load because faster source tasks will
process more splits than slower ones.

Best, Fabian

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

it depends on the file format whether a file can be read in parallel or
not. Basically, you have to be able to identify valid offsets from which
you can start reading.
There are a few techniques like fixed sized blocks with padding or a footer
section with split offsets, but if the file is already written and does not
offer these features, there is no way to read it in parallel.

To read a file without splitting it, you can implement a custom
FileInputFormat and set the "unsplittable" member field to "true".
This will create one input split for each file. In nextRecord(), you could
parse the file record by record.

Hope this helps,
Fabian