Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gre7g Luterman <gr...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/14 17:07:42 UTC

Compiling Trouble (BDB)

On my server, I'm trying to compile the latest subversion from source, but
I'm getting hung up with Berkeley DB.

I configured, made, and installed BDB (from source) without a problem. Then
I unzipped APR and APR-util into apr and apr-util directories under my
subversion source, but when I do a ./configure, I get this:

configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support

 You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.0.14 or newer
installed and linked to APR-UTIL.  We have created Makefiles which
will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
use FSFS as the default back-end.  You can find the latest version of
Berkeley DB here:
  http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/index.html

So, if Subversion compiles apr-util automatically, it is unable to guess
where BDB was installed.

Fine. If I "./configure --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.7/" then
I get:

checking for Berkeley DB... not found
configure: error: Berkeley DB not found.
configure failed for apr-util

Grr. Does anyone have a guess as to what has gone wrong here? Or perhaps, is
there a directory under Subversion that I can put BDB (like how I do with
apr and apr-util) to have it compile it in a way that it might prefer?

For reference, I'm running an old Ubuntu server (please do not suggest
apt-get it seems to be unhappy on my server) and I currently serve up my
subversion repository svnserve, so I don't need to link this up to Apache.

Also, I'm not subscribed to this list, so if you could CC me in your reply,
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gre7g

Re: Compiling Trouble (BDB)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 15, 2008, at 10:23, Gre7g Luterman wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> BerkeleyDB 4.7 may be too new. Or you may just need to specify it
>> differently; try:
>>
>> --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.7/include:/usr/local/
>> BerkeleyDB.4.7/lib
>>
>> The INSTALL document [1] says version 4.4 is recommended, but
>> implies that 4.5 will be supported once APR supports BDB 4.5,
>> which I believe it has for some time, so I think the INSTALL
>> document is out of date.
>>
>> MacPorts compiles Subversion using BDB 4.6 without problems.
>>
>> Do you really need BDB support for some reason? Most people don't.
>> I recommend using
>>
>> --without-berkeley-db
>>
>> when compiling both apr-util and subversion to save yourself the
>> trouble.
>>

>> [1] http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL
>
> Oh, awesome. Thank so you much for helping me. I'm not sure how I
> got it stuck in my head that I *HAD* to have BDB.
>
> Turns out my current repository was FSFS and had I succeeded in
> getting BDB to link properly, everything would have gotten hosed.
> Three cheers for being incompetent at the best possible time!

I don't think anything would have gotten hosed by having BDB
correctly installed. It would merely have given you the option of
accessing local BDB-based repositories also. Without BDB, you can
only access local FSFS-based repositories. But FSFS repositories have
been available since Subversion 1.1 and have been the default
repository type since Subversion 1.2 and aren't subject to the kinds
of issues that BDB repositories can encounter ("wedging").

Re: Compiling Trouble (BDB)

Posted by Gre7g Luterman <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Compiling Trouble (BDB)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.