Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/05/18 22:42:16 UTC

automation for updating uima website - a proposal

Many sandbox projects have documentation.  Some of this is in docbook,
other is anakia-source on the uima/site/uima-website project.  These are
currently handled separately.  I propose we change this so that the
majority of the documentation, including any specific web-page on the
main site, be hosted in the project.

Then, we can use automation to have the maven command mvn site:deploy
move the site to people.apache.org in the right place.

To support this, I'm adding a site distribution management section to
all poms which could be parents of a POM having web documents:

  <!-- children POMs will add their artifactId to the URL below -->
  <distributionManagement>
    <site>
      <id>uima-website</id>
      <name>UIMA Website</name>
      <url>${uimaWebsiteDistributionUrl}</url> <!-- set this var in your
settings.xml -->
    </site>
  </distributionManagement>

Maven has a convention of rewriting the values of <url> elements which
are inherited: it appends "/" and the artifactId.

Conventional values for uimaWebsiteDistributionUrl are:
  - for testing:  file:///c:/temp/localUimaSite
  - for deployment to people:  scp://people.apache.org/www/uima.apache.org/d

Having a "top-level" directory "d" will remind us where these came from,
and prevent collisions with our other process for updating the website,
which uses svn update.  Making it a short name like "d" vs. "deployed"
means less clutter in urls that may be published which reference this
documentation.

If we go in this direction, I will change the docbook to output the
files it produces to target/site/docbkx.

Deploying to the website is something we would do after a release, to
update the documentation on the site.  This also implies we follow the
normal conventions of just keeping the "current" documentation on the
website.

WDYT? -Marshall

Re: automation for updating uima website - a proposal

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1!
Tommaso

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Many sandbox projects have documentation.  Some of this is in docbook,
> other is anakia-source on the uima/site/uima-website project.  These are
> currently handled separately.  I propose we change this so that the
> majority of the documentation, including any specific web-page on the
> main site, be hosted in the project.
>
> Then, we can use automation to have the maven command mvn site:deploy
> move the site to people.apache.org in the right place.
>
> To support this, I'm adding a site distribution management section to
> all poms which could be parents of a POM having web documents:
>
>   <!-- children POMs will add their artifactId to the URL below -->
>   <distributionManagement>
>     <site>
>       <id>uima-website</id>
>       <name>UIMA Website</name>
>       <url>${uimaWebsiteDistributionUrl}</url> <!-- set this var in your
> settings.xml -->
>     </site>
>   </distributionManagement>
>
> Maven has a convention of rewriting the values of <url> elements which
> are inherited: it appends "/" and the artifactId.
>
> Conventional values for uimaWebsiteDistributionUrl are:
>   - for testing:  file:///c:/temp/localUimaSite
>   - for deployment to people:  scp://people.apache.org/www/uima.apache.org/d
>
> Having a "top-level" directory "d" will remind us where these came from,
> and prevent collisions with our other process for updating the website,
> which uses svn update.  Making it a short name like "d" vs. "deployed"
> means less clutter in urls that may be published which reference this
> documentation.
>
> If we go in this direction, I will change the docbook to output the
> files it produces to target/site/docbkx.
>
> Deploying to the website is something we would do after a release, to
> update the documentation on the site.  This also implies we follow the
> normal conventions of just keeping the "current" documentation on the
> website

Sounds good +1

Jörn

Re: automation for updating uima website - a proposal

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
This method of deployment of website docs is used by maven, see:
http://maven.apache.org/developers/website/deploy-maven-current-ref.html

-Marshall