Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ee...@usgs.gov on 2009/01/22 18:51:39 UTC

How to ignore an entire directory tree

(sorry, I know this has been asked in the past, but I've not seen a definitive answer)

I have a project structure that includes a '/build' directory.  That directory contains files and sub-directories which have names that change over time.  I do not want any of the /build directory's contents in the repository.

Is there any form of the svn:ignore property that could be set on either the directory containing /build or on the /build directory itself so that, once and for all, the entire contents of /build are ignored?

Thanks in advance,

--ee

Re: How to ignore an entire directory tree

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 22, 2009, at 16:25, Andy Levy wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 13:51, wrote:
>> (sorry, I know this has been asked in the past, but I've not seen
>> a definitive answer)
>>
>> I have a project structure that includes a '/build' directory.
>> That directory contains files and sub-directories which have names
>> that change over time.  I do not want any of the /build
>> directory's contents in the repository.
>>
>> Is there any form of the svn:ignore property that could be set on
>> either the directory containing /build or on the /build directory
>> itself so that, once and for all, the entire contents of /build
>> are ignored?
>
> On /build's parent directory
>
> svn propset svn:ignore build .
>
> Be sure to svn rm build at some point as well - otherwise it will not
> be ignored.

Or, if you would like the empty build directory in the repository,
but not its contents, set "svn:ignore" of the build directory to "*".

Re: How to ignore an entire directory tree

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.