Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by userx <ga...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/29 16:00:26 UTC

Limiting the size of Persistent Store and clearing data on restart

Hi All,

1) Like the conventional configuration of
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/memory-configuration#section-memory-policies
where in we could limit the size of the memory, how do we define a
configuration which can limit the size of Persistent Store so that say out
of a 500GB HDisk, I don't want this Ignite related data to go beyond 300GB ?

2) Also, is there a configuration such that when Ignite data grid servers
are restarted (say some code change either on client or server side),
whatever was persisted before gets wiped out completely on all the
participating nodes and only fresh persisted data is there ?

Re: Limiting the size of Persistent Store and clearing data on restart

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 5:11 AM, userx <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Regarding question 2, let me put it this way.
>
> Like ignite has eviction policy for RAM described at
> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/evictions
> Is there an eviction policy for a persistent store ? Say for a use case
> where in I cannot allocate a dedicated 1 or 2 tb space (like we do for
> relational dbms), I would want to define an upper limit of say 300 GB and
> if
> $IGNITE_HOME/PersistentStore goes beyond the same same, evict the lru
> cache.

Evictions for RAM make sense because the data is still on disk and is not
lost. Evictions from disk do not make sense for me, nor am I aware of other
databases that have this feature. I believe it should be handled by users
based on the application requirements.

I think the Ignite community may agree to consider this feature as a
possible enhancement. Can you provide an example of a similar feature you
may have seen in another persistent store or a database?

Re: Limiting the size of Persistent Store and clearing data on restart

Fwd: Limiting the size of Persistent Store and clearing data on restart

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Cross sending to dev@.

Does anyone know why we still have swapEnabled property in master?

D.

Posted by Denis Mekhanikov <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Mekhanikov <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 7:00 PM, userx <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 1) Like the conventional configuration of
> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/memory-configuration#
> section-memory-policies
> where in we could limit the size of the memory, how do we define a
> configuration which can limit the size of Persistent Store so that say out
> of a 500GB HDisk, I don't want this Ignite related data to go beyond 300GB
> ?

You would have to control your data on disk by yourself. Evicting from disk
is very sensitive and use case specific, so it would be almost impossible
to automate it.

> 2) Also, is there a configuration such that when Ignite data grid servers
> are restarted (say some code change either on client or server side),
> whatever was persisted before gets wiped out completely on all the
> participating nodes and only fresh persisted data is there ?

How about calling destroyCache(...) on startup?