Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Neal McLoughlin <nm...@cyclonecommerce.com> on 2001/10/26 02:25:51 UTC

TR.props reloading

	Is there any way to have the TurbineResources.properties file
automatically reload when you change it.  By automatically, I mean
without having to restart Tomcat.

	What I need to do (for a demo) is show the ability to change a
template on the fly.  In this case I'd like to switch between Login.vm
and Login2.vm (different screens) which would use Login.vm and Login2.vm
(templates) respectively.  It works great when I shutdown/startup
Tomcat.  However, in a demo, I doubt that restarting the entire app just
to make a simple change like that will go over too well.

	I've been unable to do that yet.  Does the framework even
support what I'm trying to do?

Things I've already tried :

Touching a class in that webapp (contrary to popular belief, this does
not force a reload of TR.props)
Setting the webapp to reloadable ie. <Context path="/myapp"
docBase="myapp" reloadable="true"/>
Upgrading to Tomcat 4.0.1

Any ideas?

-Neal

Re: TR.props reloading

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 10/25/01 8:25 PM, "Neal McLoughlin" <nm...@cyclonecommerce.com>
wrote:

> Is there any way to have the TurbineResources.properties file
> automatically reload when you change it.  By automatically, I mean
> without having to restart Tomcat.
>
> What I need to do (for a demo) is show the ability to change a
> template on the fly.  In this case I'd like to switch between Login.vm
> and Login2.vm (different screens) which would use Login.vm and Login2.vm
> (templates) respectively.  It works great when I shutdown/startup
> Tomcat.  However, in a demo, I doubt that restarting the entire app just
> to make a simple change like that will go over too well.
>
> I've been unable to do that yet.  Does the framework even
> support what I'm trying to do?

No, not yet. It's something that we've talked about but no one has
implemented yet. There is a resources package in the commons which I would
like to use in Turbine: a mechanism that would allow configurations to be
stored in an arbitrary locations and dynamic resource reloading is taken
care of in this package I believe.

> Things I've already tried :
>
> Touching a class in that webapp (contrary to popular belief, this does
> not force a reload of TR.props)
> Setting the webapp to reloadable ie. <Context path="/myapp"
> docBase="myapp" reloadable="true"/>
> Upgrading to Tomcat 4.0.1
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Neal