Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Rich Drewes <dr...@interstice.com> on 2002/08/01 19:03:12 UTC

problem migrating repository

Hello,

I am running an old version of Subversion (subversion-r1302.tar.gz) and I
am trying to move my repository to a more recent version of SVN using the
svnadmin dump technique described at
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO . The
version of svnadmin in r1302 does not even contain the dump option.

I acquired the subversion-r2092f.tar.gz sources, and built the
svnadmin-old binary with --disable-shared, but when I try to use this
binary to svnadmin dump my repository I get this error:

svn_error: #21086 : <Berkeley DB error>
  Berkeley DB error while creating `strings' table for filesystem /home/svn/repository-new/ncs/db:
Invalid argument

Does anyone have any suggestions for migrating my repository to a more
recent version of SVN?  Am I running a version of SVN too old to be
compatible with any svnadmin dump capability?  The web page above seems to
imply that r2092 should be able to read any prior version's repository.

Thanks,
Rich Drewes

Re: problem migrating repository

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> > Does anyone have any suggestions for migrating my repository to a more
> > recent version of SVN?  Am I running a version of SVN too old to be
> > compatible with any svnadmin dump capability?  The web page above seems to
> > imply that r2092 should be able to read any prior version's repository.
>
> Your repository was created waaaaaaaaaay back in the day.  You need to
> first run the enable-dupkeys.sh script (necessary as of revision 1384)
> on the original repos itself, *then* use the 2092 branch code to
> `svnadmin dump' the repository, and THEN use the latest code to
> `svnadmin load' it again.
>
> Whew.
>
> I'm tired just thinking about it.  You?

Oops -- some more notes:

  - Back up your original repos before you do aything.
  - The enable-dupkeys.sh script lives in the Subversion tree (the
    2092 tree, even) in the /tools subdir.

Sorry 'bout that.

Rich Drewes <dr...@interstice.com> writes:

> On 1 Aug 2002 cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
>
> > Your repository was created waaaaaaaaaay back in the day.  You need to
> > first run the enable-dupkeys.sh script (necessary as of revision 1384)
> > on the original repos itself, *then* use the 2092 branch code to
> > `svnadmin dump' the repository, and THEN use the latest code to
> > `svnadmin load' it again.
>
> That did the trick.
>
> Thanks muchly for your prompt and accurate response.

No sweat.  Thanks for providing enough information up front to make
such a reply possible!

Re: problem migrating repository

Posted by Rich Drewes <dr...@interstice.com>.
On 1 Aug 2002 cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> Your repository was created waaaaaaaaaay back in the day.  You need to
> first run the enable-dupkeys.sh script (necessary as of revision 1384)
> on the original repos itself, *then* use the 2092 branch code to
> `svnadmin dump' the repository, and THEN use the latest code to
> `svnadmin load' it again.

That did the trick.

Thanks muchly for your prompt and accurate response.

Rich