Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/11 10:14:04 UTC

Java profiler (again) - supported platforms

Hi all,
I think I am right when I say the Profiler still will not work for
64-bit windows, [NETBEANS-1428]
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1428)
There's a quick fix, a replacement DLL, which is referenced in the bug
report above. I am still working slowly on the correct fix and I am
nearly there. One thing which makes it difficult is the number of
platforms which the native shared library is built for.

On JDK 1.5:
hpux-pa_risc2.0
hpux-pa_risc2.0w
linux
linux-amd64
mac
solaris-amd64
solaris-i386
solaris-sparc
solaris-sparcv9
windows
windows-amd64

On JDK 1.6:
hpux-pa_risc2.0
hpux-pa_risc2.0w
linux
linux-amd64
linux-arm
linux-arm-vfp-hflt
mac
solaris-amd64
solaris-i386
solaris-sparc
solaris-sparcv9
windows
windows-amd64

On CVM (an embedded JVM, not even sure?):
linux
windows

Also 'mac' encompasses i386, x64, PPC and PPC64 all bundled together.

The logic here is, if I understand correctly, that the JNI interface
hasn't changed since JDK 1.6 so there's no need for separate 1.9, 9,
10, 11, ... versions and the server-side code (which runs alongside
the profiler target) is written with as low a source level as
possible.

This should make it possible to profile something on all these
platforms, even if NB 11.x itself won't run on these platforms.

I think the changes I need to make will not break existing support but
I will not have a way to test.

So:
1. Is there an official list of supported 'target' platforms?
2. If I finish my work and put in a PR, is anyone likely have time to
test it? Especially on different linuxes (and solaris if we're still
doing solaris) (we have a decent test-spec as part of NetCAT, it
doesn't take long to whiz through it)

Pete

Re: Java profiler (again) - supported platforms

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your great and persistent work on this.

NetBeans runs on JDK 8 and higher.

I am on Mac OSX, otherwise I would certainly test it on Linux -- though I
am sure there are enough Linux users to test the solution.

Gj